Calculated Value Based on Hidden Field

Badge +7

Is it possible to make a calculated value control work on a hidden field? I am working on a mileage reimbursement form and I need to calculate the number of miles based on a field that I would like to hide. 

The first number of miles field is a text field where if the user selects "other" in either of their location boxes, they have to manually enter the number of miles. The second number of miles field is a calculated value that pulls in the number of miles from a list based off of our locations, and it changes depending on if the user selects round trip or one way. The hidden field calculates based off of what the users select in the location fields and it tells the calculated miles field what column to pull from on the list. 

202951_pastedImage_1.png

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yes, if you hide the control with formatting rule it should be recalculated if any of values/controls it depends on changes.

Badge +7

I was not able to make that work. I ended up creating a work around by making the text of the fields I want hidden 1pt font and the same color as the background so that the user can't see them! 

I dont know if the functionality if the hidden fields is different in this case because of the fact that the fields are in a repeating section. 

Badge +1

Another work-around is to create a rule (always true) to hide the calculated values. It works for me (i.e. the field is hidden but the calculated value is still applied to the form) in Nintex Forms for Office 365.