Oddly enough, I think I figured it out by looking at various posts on this community site and using Bing to search other blogs, etc. I'll know tomorrow morning if it works. Here's what I did.
We shall see if it loops through the items that meet the query and updates the list item field. Thanks for responding.
Making progress. Discovered last night that to loop through a list, it has to be a site workflow not a list workflow. Also, scheduling the workflow to run at a specific time works when it's a site workflow.
While this started out as a thread to recalculate a field on a form, it has become a site workflow thread. I was able to successfully use collection variables to do a "for each" in a specific list that met the query list filter requirements. It is recalculating the field and writing out to the list item based on the Item ID. And, it's running on schedule as a site workflow. Will let it run over the weekend to make sure it works.
I still don't understand why the "Start Workflow" action doesn't work in a list workflow.