Copy a document from one library to another

• 19 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

There appears to be many flavors for what I would assume to be a fairly simple task. Before I make this more complex than necessary, here is what I am trying to do.

We have a source document library where we want to start a workflow from the menu that:

1. Copies the file to a target document library in the same site

2. Checks it out in the target document library to the person who initiated the workflow in the source library

3. Updates a Status field in the target document library

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Badge +6

I guess the simplest version of that Workflow would look something like this, I am however getting an error at Check In that I'm still trying to resolve but this should get you started. 

214481_pastedImage_1.png

214482_pastedImage_2.png

214483_pastedImage_3.png

Document copied to Library 2, status field updated and checked out to User that started the Workflow on Library 1:

214484_pastedImage_4.png

Badge +3

Thanks, Chantel! This is working. For my purposes, I don't need to check out/check in the file in the source library.

Also, the fields I have populated in the source library that have matching field names in the target library are automatically updating as needed. #winning

Last issue is that I want to populate a Person/Group field in the target library with the person who initiated the workflow in the source library. I tried this:

which generated this error:

Thanks for your help.

Badge +6

I tested with my Project Manager field in Destination library to show name, then in Update item use Initiator's display name instead of Initiator, worked fine. 

214471_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +3

Thanks, Chantel. It's not you, it's me. My target PM field was wrong. All is well now. Thanks again for your help.