Multiple pages/sections forms

• 30 August 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +9

Hello there,

I need to develop a form in 2016 where the form consists of many pages. I'd like the form to lead the users to completion from one section to another. 

So once a section is completed, click "next" to go to the following page...etc

The form also contains a lot of reading areas, so some good long paragraphs to read, so it would be best to have it on a page by its own. 

I've implemented before some forms that use the tab feature, but the tab feature won't work for this one.

Any ideas how can I do that?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Christine,

Nintex is working on a default multi page form feature but there wasn't an official release date announced so far.

How many pages do you need? If you only need two pages you could try to use the save and continue feature for your purpose. If you have a new form, hit save while the save button is set up to use save and continue, it will lead you to the edit form of the very same list item.

If you now set up rules to your controls to only show on new or edit form you will eventually have two different pages.

But you can't switch back and forth between the pages so this can only be a workaround until the final feature is released. Until then I only see tabbed forms as an option.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +9

Thanks Enrico Knapp‌ for your reply. It is great to know that this is in the works and it will be an official release coming soon. I can go to the business now and let them know that it will be available soon with a brave heart :-) 

well, my form contains about 8 pages. So I guess that won't work, right!

I just found this article for O365, I'm assuming I can do the same in 2016. I'll try to give it a shout tomorrow and see how it works. Although I don't typically prefer any JS on our forms but i guess not much options.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi Christine grin.png I'm curious about the business need. The other way around this I could see is - if it is okay to have your users only move forward, not backwards - you could have a redirect button. So if they click "NEXT FORM" for example, it would redirect them to a New Edit version of the next form... but it wouldn't retain any information and even implementing / running a workflow triggered by the submission of the first one would probably not work fast enough to make it seamless.

At this point I'm with ‌ -- buttons & panels forever laugh.png 

Also for long explanations, you could try using info / modals instead, to limit the amount of reading on the page. (The first time it always makes sense for the user to read - - but the third and fourth time, they know what's up. I can walk you through how I've done that, if you're interested. 

Badge +9

Hi Rhia happy.png 

The form is like those Annual Council reports that gets filled in once a year. The form has Part 1 Part 2 and Part3 where in each section they get to fill some long multiple line of texts and there some paragraphs associated with it. If I put it all in one page, it would be too long. They will need to be broken down and not to give an option about the reading part, so they have got to read that text somehow, not just click on a blurb to read further. However, this doesn't mean that I'm not interested to see how you did it wink.png . Let's get together sometime when you have a chance..email works happy.png

Badge +3

Any update on this? Looks like it’s been a year since it was requested.