Unpublished workflows have last run time in Workflow Inventory

• 28 September 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Today, I was going through the workflow inventory and I noticed a number of workflows which never have been published (version is 0.x) and yet... they have a last run time. If I go to some of those workflows and look at the history, they have been run multiple times. These are all list workflows and when I go to the list and try to start a workflow, I can start it! How is this possible? Shouldn't a workflow be published first before you can use it? 

2 replies

Badge +3

All, some more information... I was going through the source of the _admin/NintexWorkflow/Management.aspx page and I noticed that those 3 missing options are there, but they are hidden using a "display: none".

I found the following in the markup:

<%if(! IsEnterpriseEdition) { %>
adminReports.parentElement.style.display = 'none'; //hide the <li> element
var workflowInventory = document.getElementById(nwSettingsLinkPanelId + '_RptControls_NWWorkflowInventory');
workflowInventory.parentElement.style.display = 'none'; //hide the <li> element

var manageReports = document.getElementById(nwSettingsLinkPanelId + '_RptControls_NWManageReports');
manageReports.parentElement.style.display = 'none'; //hide the <li> element
<% } %>

And the IsEnterpriseEdition is set to True when the local server is unlicensed.

So, I'm guessing that my environments are not correct licensed.

We currently have 6 servers in our farm (3 WFE's and 3 APP's). Only the first 2 WFE's are used as actual WFE's and are loadbalanced. The 3rd WFE is used for exclusively for Search. So, the Workflow Timer Service is only running on the first 2 WFE's.

Central Administration is running on the 3rd APP server.

And this is my problem I guess... I only have licensed the first 2 WFE's. So the local server in Central Admin is indeed unlicensed.

What does need to be licensed in this case? Because the whole licensing thing is so damn confusing... some people tell you to license only the WFE's that server user requests, other people tell you that every WFE needs to be licensed... some other tell you that only those servers running the Workflow timer service needs to be licensed.

Badge +3

Forget about the previous reply... posted this on the wrong topic. sad.png