cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Flexitask errors after user responded. Unauthorized attempt to update workflow task by [username]

Hi,

we have parallel flexi tasks in our workflow. 5 in total in Run parallel actions.

Our issue is that sometimes the workflow fails after the flexi task has been responded to by the assignee.

The error message is

Error in task. Unauthorized attempt to update workflow task by [username]. The response has not been recorded.

It is not a permission issue, same user has responded to many wf tasks before without problems.

I have been in touch with Nintex support able this but apart from finding out some unhandled batched actions (which I then handled by adding commit pending changes actions where appropriate) and suggestion of adding pause for 5 minutes before and after the Run parallel actions with those flexi tasks (which I also added), we have not really been able to find the proper solution for this.

Anyone faced this before? Have you managed to find the solution for this?

Many thanx for any help here

Jan Marek

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Flexitask errors after user responded. Unauthorized attempt to update workflow task by [username]

Hi,

are your users replying via LazyApproval? Then this might be helpful

Error "Unauthorized attempt to update approval task by DOMAIN\Username" in LazyApproval Email - Nint... 

Best regards

Enrico

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: Flexitask errors after user responded. Unauthorized attempt to update workflow task by [username]

Hi,

thanx for reply. I have seen that article... Nope, no Lazy approval. Assignee has to go to the task item and approve/reject it there.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

any further details on your design so that we could better picture what might be going on there?

do you assign task to a dedicated user? or SP/AD group?

single user per each task or multiple users?

individual tasks or not?

do you have configured escalation that may close a task before it is responded? any other way how a task could be closed or responded (other workflow, web service call, wf restarted...)

can users delegate task, or did you configure escalation to delegate? don't they respond to delegated task?

does the workflow/task action(s) run with initiator credentials or wf publisher ones? or even kind of mix?

have you tried to investigate ULS logs for further details?

I recall several threads discussed similar problems with task actions running within parallel action, this approach doesn't sound to be be reliable. you've likely already seen them...

I'd suggest to spin off content of single parallel branches (task actions) to a separate workflow(s)

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanx for the response Marian

Tasks are assigned to users. 4 of the flexitask actions assign them to individual user, 5th can be to multiple users. Individual tasks are set only for the 5th flexitask action

There is escalation configured but in each of these faulty cases the task has been responded to by its original assignee. It also was not delegated to anyone. There are no other wfs or web services actions which would close the task. The task is actually responded to by the assignee the error occurs after the response is given.

The wf actions run with publisher's credentials who is SC admin.

Yes, I did look into ULS logs with Medium trace level but there was nothing of a value other then what wf status error message already said to me. Since this issue appears very sporadically and it is virtually impossible to reproduce then raising the log level to Verbose and waiting several days or weeks before it re-appears is not really an option for us.

I have seen some discussions you mention and yes, we have pretty much already decided to redesign the workflow as there is also quite a big change request coming from the business.

BR

Jan

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

to be honest I'm running out of further ideas.

since you're going to redesign the workflor I'd guess it's not worth of spending time on it anymore...

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply