Multiple to Single destination user

• 16 March 2006
  • 3 replies

Badge +7
Hi all,

the following is my problem.

Requestor sends request to an activity with 2 destination users (one slot)
The one of the users who accepted the request can send it back to the requestor in order to let him update his request.

Now when the form is updated I would like to send it back only to the one destination user who redirected it back to the requestor.

Is there a best practice for that or did someone had the same issue already.

Thx in advance.

3 replies

Badge +8
Not sure if it s the best way of doing it, but here s how I would do it.

1. Create a process variable, lets say Approver and ensure that it doesn t have an initial value.
2. Create a destination rule in the activity that has the default destinations (you can skip this as your activity already has this rule configured).
3. Create another destination rule for the activity that uses only the process variable created in step 1 as destination.
4. Populate the Approver variable after a destination user has actioned the item with the actioner s user ID.
5. Set Rules for the two destinations (right-click the rule and select Modify Rules ), so the rule for the first destination should be and the second destination should be .

So what will happen is - the first time that the destination rules are executed, it will go to all destination users configured as per your current rule because Approver variable is empty. If a user sends the item back for rework and it reaches the approval activity again, Approver is not empty, so the first destination rule will not be performed, only the second destination rule will be executed, thus sending it back to the user that declined it first time round.
Badge +7
Hi dc,

this all sounds like a good idea and I already had about the same but forgive me my question. How do I actually get the users id and what is the best place to populate the datafield with the user id. Directly in the event (infopath) or in the eventhandler of the submit button of my page ?

Thx again
Badge +7
Ok I got it,

thx anyway.