Set item field from value of Workflow task field

• 27 February 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

If possible, I would like to set an item field to a value obtained from a Workflow Task item:

My workflow steps are:

nintex1.PNG

The Task action will result in the assignee setting a custom column in the Workflow Task, called "Assigned ECAD Librarian".

I then want the Update Item action to set my item field, "ECAD Librarian" = Workflow Task value "Assigned ECAD Librarian".

I haven't been able to find any clear documentation on how the List Lookup or Workflow Context all work, but I tried the following and get a Workflow error:

nintex2.PNG

Is what I'm trying to accomplish even do-able, and if so ... how?

5 replies

Badge +9

Hi Terri,

It did not work with this version of Nintex.

In the Assign Task action, do you have a setting to store the ID of the Task.

If yes, you can use it as a Key to get the value you need.

Best regards,

Christophe

Badge +2

Hi Christophe,

Yes - the Assign Task action does have a field for "Store task IDs in" but there's nothing in the dropdown.  Can you give me a little more detail on how I would (1) create a location to store the ID and (2) how I would then be able to use this to pull a field value from the task into the item?

Thanks!

~ Terri

Badge +9

Hi Terri,

You need to create a workflow variable and select it.

Regards,

Christophe

Badge +2

Christophe's response was correct, but (being a Nintex Newbie) I needed a bit more detail.  Here's how I got it to work:

(1) Created a Workflow variable of Type "List Item ID".  I named this variable "ListItemID" (clever, no?)

nintex-01.PNG

(2) In the "Assign to-do task" configuration, set the "Store task IDs in" value to the variable created in step (1): "ListItemID"

nintex-02.PNG

(3) In the "Update Item" configuration, set the Item field "SPE" to the value of the Workflow Task's "Assigned SPE" field using the List Lookup from the Workflow Tasks:

nintex-03.PNG

Now ... on to my next challenge.  I want to do the same thing only in reverse:  Set a Workflow Task field = a field from the corresponding Item.  All suggestions welcome!

Badge

Hey there,

That's exactly how I get any data from a workflow task. I assume you got the information you needed to get information from the item the workflow was running on?

Cheers

Josh