Updating Word Document content using K2 and SharePoint 2013

Badge +6

I have a K2 Workflow using SharePoint 2010 Integration and that would update Word documents in SharePoint 2010 environments, using the Word Documents Event.

It appears that the Word Documents event is no longer available when integrating with a SharePoint 2013 site that is not in compatibility mode (in other words, does not have sites in 2010 mode).

So, is there a way to update Word documents using K2 in a SharePoint 2013 site? 

7 replies

Badge +5

Hi, the only way I could find to do this is rather long. 

Since the the Update Content control event can update Word Documents saved on the file system,

1. I use a SharePoint 2013 method to move the document to a Network Share,
  2. then I update the controls and
  3. then I move the documents back to the SharePoint list. 

Longer but at least it works. If you can find a better way with SharePoint 2013 please share. 

Badge +6

Thanks, I'll try that!

Badge +6

Latte - Which SP 2013 method did you use to copy the file to a network share?  I see a Move Document method under SP 2013 - Document Events, but it appears that you can move the document only to another library, not a network share.

Badge +5

Hi, you should see a "Save document to File Location" method. I use a network location in the form of servernamefolder as the file location. 

Then to copy the documents back to SharePoint I use an "Upload Document" method to get it back into SharePoint. The input for the Upload Document method is a "Get File From Location" Inline Function. 

Like I said, long. But it works.

Badge

Where did you find the "Save document to File Location" method? I guess I'm either looking in the wrong place, or it's not in 4.6.9. :-/

Badge

Hi Start_Rule,

That's going to be a SmartObject event. Open an event and find the SmartObject for your SP2013 library. If you expand to see the methods contained, you should see one called Save Document to File Location.

-Laurence

Badge +7

I know this is an old post but once you have the doucment on the fil eshare what method would you use to modify the document. With SharePoint 2010 you were able to update document fields with data from the workflow. We are trying to fill in data fields to build a standard document such as a non-disclosure contract.