cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Find out more about your workflow history and how they're running!

Accessing Nintex Workflow History

A history of all Nintex Workflows run on an item are kept. This history provides a trail on how many workflows have been completed on the item or how many workflows have been cancelled or errored in relation to the item. There is both a text based history, as well as a graphical based history.

The workflow history page shows three sections:

1. Action History: Shows every completed action associated with the workflow in order. Actions are added to the bottom of the list, so the first action to have completed is always at the top of the list. The action's start and end times and its time taken to complete (duration) are shown. Many workflow actions are instant, so expect to see many durations of '0 minutes'. This is stored in the Nintex SQL database and retained indefinitely.
  2. Task History: The Task History section shows the status of tasks that were created by user interaction workflow actions such as the 'Request approval' action. The start time, end time, outcome and any comments entered for the task are listed. This is stored in the Nintex SQL database and retained indefinitely.
  3. Workflow Messages: This section shows all messages that are generated by actions in the workflow. It also shows comments made by users (when required) and messages that are programmed to appear when the 'Log in the history list' action is used. These are messages from SharePoint and will disappear after 60 days.

The View Workflow History option in a SharePoint list item menu provides the user with a complete history of all Nintex Workflows that have run on the item. Nintex Workflow History provides a graphical and text based view of the history.

Done here? Move on to the next tutorial>> Enable Reports on your Nintex Workflows

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
11 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Find out more about your workflow history and how they're running!

Thanks for letting us know abou this. I am running from pillar to post to get this information. Now I can be confident that workflow data will be available indefinitely.

Not applicable

How can I access Task History
or where I can find this in database as it is maintaining it on database level?

because we need to do some changes in this Task History

0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Frank Field

appreciate your help but I need to know how can I change this history manually ?

I am using the technique u mention to get task history but I want to change some columns against a particular record in task history so that it wont appear again.

My question specifically is where does this task history maintains in database?

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

This is a tricky thing because you will be modifying database level metadata that can ultimately cause your workflows to become out of sync with the history.  My biggest question is why are you trying to change the task history at the database level?  I've seen a lot of business requirements, but nothing that far out that would force me to change something inside the database on task history.

You can look at some of the commands from NWAdmin to see what is accessible, but again I would use extreme caution around that.  Not sure what would be the benefit of modifying it at the database level when that type of information to some degree is not visible to the end users anyway.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Basically a records has been created in a list and send for approval to authorities step by step, but it has went to wrong person due to some internal mistake, and that person perform the action on it. so we restart the workflow on the same item after correction in workflow. but when we get the task history against this item it is getting old history also along with it which we have to remove.

And we are getting the history through a UDA which is general for all workflow so we can not hardcode any thing in it like date etc.

0 Kudos
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Ahh... understood. 

I would recommend instead of restarting the workflow to create a new item and cancel or strike the other item out.  Your workflow may not be architected correctly to handle a restart which may result in the errors you are seeing.  Can you share your workflow with me?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

This is the UDA through which I am getting task history for each item in the list.

https://community.nintex.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/3346-102-1-4905/New_History_UDA.uda.zi...

you can import it as UDA.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

How do I ensure that the workflow history is not lost after 60 days for workflows in O65?

I would like to retain it indefinitely for auditing. Does Nintex provide any way of doing this in O365?

Perhaps, I have to manually create entries into a custom list or alternatively make entries into a 'Multi-line Text' field by appending the text. Please advise. Thanks in advance. Emily Billing

0 Kudos