Workflow: Creating Item in different list works (mostly) fine for required fields but what about optional fields?

Badge +7

I have a workflow with a Create Item step that creates a new list item in a different list of my SharePoint site. The Create Item settings (screen shot below) automatically lists the required fields in the other list (Surplus). I can mostly match those up with the fields on my form (except for Quantity which does not give any way to select a field on the form).

I also want to put values in a few of the optional fields. I can select an optional column from the Field drop down. For the screen shot below I selected the Disposal Form column. I don't see a way to configure it so that I'm can point to a field on my form. I can only hard code Yes/No if I go with the default "Value" option, so that won't work. I've tried putting the form field value in a variable so I could try getting at it in the workflow that way (can't select the variable here either). My question is, can you use the Create Item workflow step to include optional columns and populate them with field values on your form?

209594_pastedImage_3.png

14 replies

Badge +16

yes you need to choose list lookup current item and then the field on your current item - note that only looks at your columns on your current list not controls on your form.  so if you are talking about disconnected fields on your form you won't be able to select them in this way.  which is it?

Badge +7

Well clearly I am not understanding some foundational things here! happy.png Let me study this a bit and I will respond with a more coherent answer. Thank you for your reply.

Badge +16

Just how you have configured "Item Type" in your screen shot - that is what you need to do.

Badge +7

It's a whole new world happy.png

So this helps me with all the columns that appear in both the Supply and Surplus lists. I have one snaggle left. The scenario here is that an admin user will open a Supply list item and edit it (maybe add a note, respond to two yes/no fields). When they save it, I kick off the workflow to create the list item in the Surplus list. Those two yes/no fields are not in the Supply list (the original/source list), but I want to put the admin user's responses to those two questions in the corresponding columns in the Surplus list. Can that be done?

Really appreciate your help today.

Badge +16

How do you capture the admins responses to those surplus list questions if they are not in the supply list?

Badge +7

I have a panel at the bottom of the form that is visible to admins only that has the questions with a radio button answer (not connected to anything in the Supply list, but needed when I copy the item over to Surplus)

Badge +16

Ok I am not at my machine to do any screenshots for you right now but you will need to save those responses as form variables and then in your workflow you need to query xml passing in the form data and then sucking out the variable values.

if you use search on here you should be able to find examples of people using query xml with form data. If you get absolutely nowhere with that I will put some screenshots on in the morning for you. happy.png 

Badge +7

My goodness. Thank you!! I am out of the office tomorrow. I will follow up with you on Monday on where I am. Thank you so much. You're the bees knees.

Badge +16

As promised:

https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2017/10/13/getting-unconnected-data-from-your-nintex-form-into-your-nintex-workflow

Badge +7

Awesome. Thank you. I understand a lot better now.

Badge +7

For future person reading this ... This thread has additional screen shots that are helpful as well:   Workflow reference 

Badge +16

did you get it working?

Badge +7

Clooooose but not quite. I think it has to do with the creation of the form variable. See item 3 below

1) Background for future readers - I have a list item that an admin user will edit. The form has a panel visible only to the admins. There are two fields that the admin completes. When the item is saved it is created as a new item in a different list.

2) Panel - Added a panel visible only to the admin users. Added two radio buttons for the values I need from the admin user: optFixedAsset, optDisposal

209989_pastedImage_8.png

3) Form variables - I created a form variable for each of the two values the admin user provides.  fvFixedAsset, fvDisposal.  I selected a "generic" type because the other options do not apply (it corresponds to a form field that is a yes/no choice, displayed as a radio button). I set the formula = the associated form control. I'm wondering if my formula can't be just the choice field (optFixedAsset, in this case) or if I need to wrap it with some function to get the "yes" or "no"

209983_pastedImage_1.png

4) Add workflow variables - In the workflow, I added 2 workflow variables that will correspond to each of the 2 form variables

209984_pastedImage_2.png

5) Query XML -  In the workflow, before the create item step, I inserted a query xml step for each of the 2 form variables. Select XML as the source. Pick formdata from the Item Properties tab (under the Insert Reference button). I typed "/FormVariables/vFixedAsset" and selected the corresponding workflow var from the dropdown.

209986_pastedImage_4.png

6) In the workflow, create item - In the workflow, in the create item step, first I did a listlookup for each value that from the original list that has a corresponding column in the destination list. Then I added the two columns that are only in the destination list and matched to the workflow variables.

209985_pastedImage_3.png

I do not get any errors and the listlookup values show up in the new item in the destination list. However these two form variables/workflow variables don't come along for the ride.

Badge +16

have you added a log in history list to see what the form variables are being returned as?