cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Failed to run User Defined Action. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double)

Hi,

This post is a continuation of Eric Harris' post Create Parent/Child items using this Nintex forms/workflow with this trick and Vadim Tabakman's post at http://www.vadimtabakman.com/nintex-formsworkflow-parsing-repeating-section-data.aspx .  I'm getting these errors from the UDA.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

TimeEventMessageOutcome
11/12/2015 7:58 AMWorkflow CommentError parsing value. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double).Error
11/12/2015 7:58 AMWorkflow CommentFailed to run User Defined Action. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double).Error
11/12/2015 7:58 AMErrorAn error has occurred in Parent_Child Workflow Creator SCA 111215.

The UDA runs in the TestParent sample file, but errors in my list, which is much more complicated.  I've removed the Date field from the form as a test.  That did not fix the error.

Thanks!

Labels: (2)
13 Replies
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Re: Failed to run User Defined Action. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double)

Hi Patti,

You will need to determine where the "" value is trying to populate to and from. I would suggest that the field is a numeric field that is being updated to a blank, which is not a valid entry for a numeric field, hence the error. Check out the Sharepoint logs at the time of the workflow to see if it divulges any more information. Or, as you did with the date field, start eliminating other values until you can pinpoint the cause.

There is always an added level of complexity to debugging UDA's, as it is harder to see what is occurring inside the UDA component. I recently needed to do a similar thing and in the end replicated the controls in the UDA, in my workflow and it became more apparent as to what was occurring.

Another thing I have done in the past is to build in some debug type information within the UDA and have a parameter on the UDA that is a Debug - Y/N flag. If you define this as a yes then certain debug information is emailed to me from the workflow, just using a run if based on the flag outcome. This just saves deep-diving into the UDA as a first step toward deciphering what is happening.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Failed to run User Defined Action. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double)

Hi,

I think I figured it out.  Originally, the fields on my form were not in a repeating section.  They were connected to columns in a list.  When I put the fields in the repeating section, the form fields were automatically disconnected from the column lists, but the yes/no checkbox still had the Default Value Source in the control settings as "Use connected field's default value". I'm guessing that because it was not connected to a column with a default list value, the UDA was throwing an error. See screen cap below. error-causing-uda-problem.png.

I set the control to "Specify default value" and selected "No" as the default, republished the form, and re-ran the workflow.  The workflow worked and created the table in a multiline text column with rich text selected as the option.

So, I'm wondering if this is a "bug".  If the controls that are connected to columns in a list get automatically disconnected when they're put into a repeating section, should the Default value source for the control get reset as well?

0 Kudos
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

Yes you would expect that to be the case. I would raise it as a support case with Nintex, pointing out the "feature".

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I wonder if it's really a Microsoft workflow foundation problem?

0 Kudos
clxwas3
Nintex Newbie

hello,

Maybe this UDA cann't get your text of Formdata.

2015-11-16_102620.png

Not applicable

Thanks Patti for sharing this insight. I tried everything on here and also this. But it didn't work the first time even after I set it up as "Not Connected" and "String" with Default Value filled. I had to drag the text boxes out of the panel, save, then drag the boxes back into the panel then publish. And even though all the settings look the same, somehow the UDA works after this.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

yes, I think you're right Theresa.  I think that's how I got it to work too.  Remove it. Save. Re-add it. Save and publish.  Tricky.  Sounds like a problem though to have to do this.

0 Kudos
gregr
Nintex Newbie

I too get this error: Error parsing value. Value '' is not compatible with the selected output variable type Number (double).

I have tried everything but it still happens. 

The only thing that works is if one of the fields in the repeating row has a value manually selected. The initial example works fine but in my form it does not. I have another form that works as very. 

How do we get the UDA to check for empty or null? If null make it skip the action or if the repeating section contains a minimum of one row process it?

Thanks.

Edit/Update: I think I got it to work but feel kind of dirty. 

Anyways...I created a text field with the value of test. Set it to be hidden. Placed it in my 2 repeating list 30. 

Edited the form and saved it. It worked. 

I then go into my child list and delete the blanks. I will do this at the end when it is time to QA the data. The reason for the blank is due to me saving a form value(e.g. patient number) to my list when it writes the child list. 

This works but I wish I could find another way. I can move on.

End edit.

0 Kudos
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Hi Greg,

Two things you could do:

Firstly, put a validation rule on the repeating section data to ensure sufficient info is there to generate the UDA requirements.

Secondly, you should be able to check that there is at least some data in your repeating section prior to calling the UDA. This could be done using the Query XML control to look for data in your core repeating section fields.

The is always the option of editing the UDA to insert a check for data prior to it attempting to create new items in the child list.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos