Search Hotels Form using Nintex Forms

• 23 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I am working on SharePoint 2013 and I want to create a simple form where users can search for company hotels offers. something similar to booking system.

I have a list with all hotel offers (Hotels, Rooms, Prices, Locations...) and users need to fill form (where are they traveling, Dates, Persons, ...) and then a list of all rooms based on entered values is displayed. and then a user click on the hotel he wish to book and a the request is automatically sent to related department.

I am not aware if this possible in SharePoint 2013 OOTB or through coding and if there is any other available solution using Nintex Forms and workflow please let me know.

Thanks,

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

in general I would say it could be possible.

but can you provide more details how do you exactly want to filter list of hotels and or rooms?

Badge +3

thank you for your comment

The user will select:

- city

- from and to dates

- how many adults

- if there is children

after clicking search. the result will appear in neat way (if possible like showing the hotel name, pic, prices, ...) and user select the item s/he find suitable. after that, a request with data selected is sent to related department to proceed.

I have a ready list with all cities and hotels room and prices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so, is the City only criteria to filter hotels?

Badge +3

No, all the below:

- city

- from and to dates (because there are different prices based on the season)

- how many adults (there are different offers for single rooms and double rooms)

- if there is children (find room with extra bed)

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi Shahad,

For a project where the user would like to select a previous document and copy its metadata into the new document, I used something similar:

• 2 dropdown, 1 person/group and 1 textbox which are used as a filter
  • a choice dropdown list that is populated with a reduced number of items based on the filter.
  • a button to copy the metadata of the selected document into the current document

For this I had to use Custom JavaScript (in the Form Settings), where:

• change() functions are created for each of the filter fields, which construct a CAML query, which gets the resulting documents and populates my document selection dropdown (document item ID as dropdown item ID. and Name as display value)
  • The Copy Metadata button script then takes the ID of the select document and retrieves its metadata.

When you venture into this, you also need to create JavaScript functions for the save and cancel buttons in order to disable the custom populated rooms dropdown control; if not you get an error when trying to save/cancel the form.

An other option to consider is to create a web part page with filters connected to a Content Query/Content Search Web Part.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok.

but that makes it quite complex, since no nintex control supports filtering by multiple criteria.

I would recommend to implement what you need by 'cascading dropdown' concept - see eg. following  

but it will need little redesign of your Hotels list - each filtering criteria must be lookup field.

so you will need to create following lists

- list of cities

- list of proper/suitable date categories/ranges, like winter season, summer season, etc

- list of possible adult options (1..N)

- list of children options (eg. yes/no or number of children)

then as I said you need to make City column in Hotels list to be lookup to list of Cities, date from/to lookup to list of date categories, adult lookup to adult options, etc.

finally, you have to build a cascade in form so the user step by step select single criterias (city, date category, adults...). at the you will list of hotels that meets selected criterias and which user can choose from.

unfortunatelly, you will not be able to get some pretty formatted table of all the possible hotels with thier descriptions, pictures...

the most you can achieve I can think of is that you define some URL for each hotel in Hotels list and once an user chooses some hotels show it on the form.