Multiple Emails Setting Off Workflow

• 16 November 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi, How do I stop multiple email notifications being sent after a field is modified.

E.g. When an submission is made to a list, I want a notification to go to person A. Then if only a specific field is changed, the workflow runs again through the 'run modified condition' send to person B.

However, at the moment if person B makes an amendment, person A receives a notification again (Work flow is seeing it as an item is being created again & sending the same notification as first)

I ideally want - I make a submission, one notification sends to person A. (Person A to never receive another email, no matter what is amended to any fields in future). Then person A makes an amendment, then person B receives an email only.

I need it to run upon creation & when modified

I hope that is clear

Thank you

3 replies

Badge +11

Hi

You can create additional field in the list called Status. Set it to Submitted, by default, when the item is created for the first time. When the notification has been sent, update this field to something else, like In Progress.

In the workflow, check this as first condition when sending notification to person A. If Status is "Submitted", send notification. Else carry out other steps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

or you can split your workflow into two workflows.

one will be started on item submission and second one on item update.

Badge +1

Thanks Marian & Kapil. I actually tried both methods & both worked just as well. Thanks very much for the advice