Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
efarley
Nintex Newbie

Extract last update from versioned multi-line text field

Jump to solution

I have a multi-line text field which contains updates on the item, so I have append changes turned on, and therefore, all the comments are stored in version history, not in the text field.  I need to extract the last update from the version history to include in a workflow email notification.  Image of the text I am referring to is attached.  Any suggestions?

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
emha
Nintex Newbie

Re: Extract last update from versioned multi-line text field

Jump to solution

you will have to use Lists.asmx's web service method   GetVersionCollection

Lists.GetVersionCollection Method (Lists) 

praios81
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Had a very similar task in the past. Best solution for us was not to use the versioned comment field but writing every comment entered in one field summarized in a multi line text field that is moderated by the workflow. This way you have everything in one field and you don't rely on the versioning stuff as old versions could be deleted by policies and so on.

So basically a workflow grabs the text from field 1, combines all comments in field 2 and clears field 1 afterwards so it's free for a new comment. In your form you would show field 2 as read only and have your comment history there.

Would that work for you?

Kind regards,

Enrico

efarley
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I am not a developer.  How would I use this in a workflow?

emha
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

would this help Nintex webserice xml to xslt processing with date filed ?

you need not necessarily use XSLT to pick data from result, you could use query XML

courtney_shelto
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

This is also what we did as a solution. You could then include the "field 1" in your email and get just the most recent update

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi, ‌, Just wondering if you've got a solution? And if so, can you click "mark correct" on the reply that helped most? It's helpful for others in the community who search for content similar to yours. If you're still working, no worries, I just wanted to check in. Thanks!

0 Kudos
efarley
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

No I did not find this helpful at all.  What i am looking for is an explanation of how to use the Lists.asmx's web service method GetVersionCollection that you referenced in your first reply.

efarley
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Do you get the date/time and user name stamps that versioning applies automatically, or did you find a way to capture that?

0 Kudos
efarley
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I apologize...I marked you not helpful by mistake...No, I am still trying to figure out how to use Marian's method, but might end up going with Enrico's method.