Question about the blackmarket download license

• 8 January 2009
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

This statement: "If you are acquiring Software on behalf of a company, you and the company may
only use the Software for the company’s internal business purposes unless
otherwise specifically provided. You shall not sell, resell, lend, lease or
otherwise distribute the Licensed Software, or make the Licensed Software
available in any manner, to any third party unless specifically provided. You may not use the Software to provide application services to any third party." has sent kind of a chill down my back.

Since my company is in the business of providing retirement services to other companies, and plans to use black pearl to help with that, does that automatically mean we can't use any of the blackmarket code in our applications? Or does it just mean we can't package up that blackmarket code and resell it as a service to our clients?

For example, I was about to try out the dynamic assembly service. So if we expose a client event to one of our clients (asp.net form) or just initiate a process from that external web site, and that process uses a service object via the dynamic assembly service, are we in violation of the license?

4 replies

Badge +8
Interesting point Phil,  i am very curious to know the answer as well !
Badge +10

So I have talked with the gentelmen that wrote that agreement, and it amounts to this. The agreement is geared towards ensuring that people cannot take something off of blackmarket and sell it directly.  However if you use the download to enhance the services you provide as an extention of your blackpearl environment that is acceptable.  So based on what you describe you are attempting to do, you are NOT in violation of the agreement. 

Does that make sense?

Badge +3

Yes it does and it matches my scenario where I talked about selling the service directly rather than including it in my customer facing business processes.For example if I made a web service of the Dynamic Assembly Service somehow, and sold the use of the service, that would be a violation.

Good, glad to have clarified. 

Badge +10
Excellent.  Let me know if you need anything else.