Application Accelerators - Approval Comments vs Workflow Comments

• 21 January 2016
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

The Expense Claim Application Accelerator (AA) example uses Approval Comments but K2 has a built in Workflow Comments.

The AA comments have separate Decision and Comments fields, whereas the Workflow Comments only have a single comment field but why did the AA go to all the work to build in Approval Comments when K2 provides Workflow Comments? If I'm wanting to build workflows should I be using a custom built comment SmO or the built in Workflow Comments?

3 replies

Badge +4

Hi NigelS,

From my perspective:

- Approval Comments used in AA are inteded to give you understanding that you can get more control over how and what data you want to save;

- while AA Approval Comments have separate Decision and Comments fileds the built in Workflow Comments along with available Workflow Reports save ALL the data related to your workflow (for instance you can find 'Decision' in Workflow Reports > Workflow General > Activity Instance Destination or Activity Slot Data SmartObjects);

- if you are wanting to build a workflow from scratch you should first check built in Workflow Comments functionality and if it's not enough or you have special requirements in regards how and where to save your workflow data you can always build you own comment system using Approval Comments from AA as an example.

HTH,

Eugene

Badge +9

May I know what this AA is?  Workflow history with comments is an ongoing pain point for us so I'm very interested to know what it is.

Badge +3

They are K2's example applications, called Application Accelerators.

You can find them here http://www.k2.com/application-accelerators#

The benefit of the AA's is they're complete examples of workflows and forms. Meaning they cover all the fine details of how forms and workflows are used and modified to interact with the user. For example they show how and when fields should be readonly or editable, based on the form's state. For the new K2 developer they provide a wealth of ideas and patterns to follow.