Workflow Errors \Randomly\" - \"Error retrieving context data\"

• 1 February 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

Upfront apologies from this newbie if this question has been raised / answered - I did try searching a number of sites before posting.

I get intermittent errors on a workflow that I've created and I cannot find what is the cause. I initially thought it was time based (and changed every setting I could find to allow for maximum duration), but no longer think so. This is the error I get:

"Error retrieving context data. Cannot find item with id xx in list 'AIR Register'. Check the user has at least read permissions. Current user xxx"

The user created the item that kicked off the workflow, so I know he/she has the correct permission level in the "AIR Register" list. If I terminate the [now errored] workflow and re-start, and approve, it works fine through to completion.

This error does not happen in every instance... I'd say it only happens ~10% of the time and I've yet to find the common denominator / cause, except this - a workflow has NEVER failed/errored that I've approved/responded to with a couple of hours. As soon as more than a day or 3 has passed... well, anything can happen.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Sometimes this kind of problem appears on Sharepoint balanced servers, where a Nintex installation failed.

Have you a balanced Sharepoint server?

Badge +1

Hi Fernando,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Our IT department is currently looking to recreate the workflow in SharePoint online to see if the error persists or if there is an error with the installation on prem.

I will post back here when this has been done and if it does solve the problem.

Cheers.

Badge +7

any update on this issue? I am having the same issue. Please advise.

Badge +1

Hi D M,

Nothing besides what is above. Our IT department is still working on the Role Out of SP online, so not expecting confirmation on whether or not that sorted the issue in a hurry....

Not enough Workflows have been generated yet for me to accurately say whether or not this has solved the problem, but something else I tried was changing all my "Set Field" workflow actions to "Update item" workflow actions. (I read here that the order in which SharePoint passes the variables via these two actions is different and can sometimes cause problems. I'm certainly no SharePoint guru - not even at the longest stretch of the imagination, so may have completely misinterpreted, but have given it a go anyway.)

Badge +7

Thank you for the update. I will let you know if I find anything.

Badge +1

Update: Tried "Commit Action" and "Pause" workflow actions - neither changed anything.

Still waiting for IT to check our installation of the software, although quietly, I don't think that is the problem. Non of our other workflows are having this issue - I just can't crack what the anomaly is.

Badge +16

‌ did you resolve this one in the end?

Badge +1

Hi Cassy,

Ironically, about 6M ago the server hosting our Business Unit's instance of SharePoint completely crashed. From the moment all was restored, I never again had a single error on the work flow.

Considering this, I'd say Fernando was at least pointing in the right direction when refering to the fact that the servers need to be "balanced", or looked at.... I'm not nearly technically savvy enough to know what that means when it comes down to the nuts and bolts, I just know my work flow was giving me errors every couple of days; our server completely crashed; when it was restored, everything worked perfectly.

Sorry I don't have anything definitive for you!!