cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmmintrup
Nintex Newbie

Excel Services Query against Protected Sheets

This topic went unanswered in 2016. I am looking for a solution other than unprotect the sheets. I am posting this question in MS Office forum as well since I don't know where the issue lies. I have a Nintex 2013 workflow that is using Query Excel Services action to read certain cells in an Excel file and store the value in a variable. Everything worked great during test until the owner of the Excel template protected the sheets so users' couldn't overwrite any formulas. After that, I kept receiving "Error querying Excel Services. We're sorry, we couldn't open your workbook" error on my Nintex workflow. Is there a way to use Excel Query Services against protected cells with formulas? Maybe grant access in the Excel template to the farm credentials used in the query? My query control is setup as follows:

Excel Services.jpg

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cmikhaiel
Nintex Newbie

Re: Excel Services Query against Protected Sheets

Hi Tony, have you had any luck with this? 

I'm facing the same problem and saw also your post on MS Office forum.

I've seen that there is an option/actions with Nintex RPA to Protect and Unprotect the sheet! But that would require from us some additional licensing and investigations on how to call that robot from the workflow just to simply copy few cells from the sheet. Have you checked if there is a way with JavaScript or an API call? 

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/rpa/Actions/Protect_Sheet.htm

0 Kudos
tmmintrup
Nintex Newbie

Re: Excel Services Query against Protected Sheets

No luck. We decided to unprotect the worksheets. I have not looked into JS or API call since we try to keep things as out of the box as possible.

0 Kudos