Trouble updating item

Badge +3

I have 3 different workflows for logging issues, risks and action items. They are all set up the same way to query a list>set the variable> build a string>set a field value>perform a math operation>update item>set variable>send notification. This is working for my issues and risks logs but not my action items. They are set up identically and I am not sure where this error is coming from.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

and what is the error?

Badge +3

It just says Status:Error. When I click for more details it shows me that Update item is incomplete.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what environment is this from?

can you write nextNumber and nextNumberPlus1 to history log before update item action to see their content?

what's datatype of 'Next Number' list field?

does it always fails or just intermittently?

can you as well post configuration of set field value action?

can you try to replace set field action with update item action? (make sure to remove set field action from workflow!)

Badge +3

I am working with SharePoint 2013 and Nintex 2013. I was not the one who set up these workflows previously so I am trying to work backwards to figure out what's not working. I tried running a TEST document with the variables added to a history log and the workflow ran to completion and sent me the desired approval e-mail but I do not see the content of those variables logged in the workflow history.

Badge +3

The overall process of the workflow is basically:

1) Any team member with access can log an action item

2)Any "owner" plus the team member who submitted the action item receives a notification with the details

Badge +3

The fields of the list are as follows:

The fields in the form when logging an item:

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

Is it possible that the data being input is incorrect for the type the workflow is expecting?   

Thanks

Badge +3

Hi Mike,

I'm sure its possible. I guess I don't have a great understanding of what data the workflow is collecting. Looking through everything I also noticed this within Query List  :

Could the field not being selected be causing it to error? It seems like it isn't selected on any of the 3 workflows but they have had no trouble logging Risks or Issues only Actions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if you do not see content of variables in log they are likely empty. likely you haven't filled some requested inputs on your test document.

can you run the workflow on a document on which it fails to see what's going on there?

it looks to me you posted screenshots from a list that the workflow runs on, did you?

but update item action seem to fail to update some other list - "Master Numbering List - Action Items"

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Carl,

I noticed you selected an answer as correct, but can you tell us what solved your problem as it is not clear from the selected answer?

Thanks

Badge +3

This was the correct answer as the variables in which I was trying to reference were not properly defined. When I ran the workflow with a history log attached to it the log came back empty which helped point me in the right direction. Thanks so much!