Error when trying to deploy nintexworkflow2016core.wsp in SharePoint 2016

• 16 March 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

I am getting the following error when trying to deploy the solution NINTEXWORKFLOW2016CORE.WSP   in SharePoint 2016.

Error: The copying of this file failed: BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll.
The process cannot access the file 'C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions16BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll' because it is being used by another process.

I have 2 App servers and 2 WFEs.   The error is only on the server that houses central admin.  It deployes to the other three servers successfully.

TIA,

Emily

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Most of the time the SharePoint Timer Service is keeping hold on the files. You can try the following:

1. stop SharePoint Timer Services on both WFEs
  2. perform IISRESET on both WFEs
  3. redo the deployment
  4. If successful restart the SharePoint Timer Services on both WFEs
Badge +1

This didn't work. 

I have more detail now too.

I have 4 farms, F02 Test, F02 Prod, F04 Test, F04 Prod.  The test/prod environments should mirror each other.

On F02 & Test/Prod the following solutions were not deployed

NintexForms2016core.wsp

Last Operation Details:Server Name : The solution has not been upgraded.

Nintexworkflow2016core.wsp

Reason: 

Server1: Error: The copying of this file failed: BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll.
The process cannot access the file 'C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions16BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll' because it is being used by another process.
Server2: Error: The copying of this file failed: BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll.

Server3: Error: The copying of this file failed: BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll.
Server4: Error: The copying of this file failed: BinNintexWorkflowStartAutofac.dll.

F02 also can't deploy nintexexternalconnection.wsp to the app server for the following reason:

C:WindowsTempsolution-0ba88400-31ea-462c-8603-6e4b34d70fec intexexternalconnection.wsp could not be created because the contents could not be found under id 18a1869d-dd59-4c8f-8526-b946a649022a in the configuration database

These are in addition to the errors I noted in the first post. 

Badge +8

Was this issue encountered on a fresh installation? If not, ensure all the older DB created for Nintex be deleted from the SQL and try again after an IISREST.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

You could use "unlocker" tool or process explorer to see what process is blocking the file.

Process Explorer 

Unlocker Download | ZDNet.de 

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +1

Just to give an update - yes this was a fresh installation.  After working with a Nintex engineer we discovered I needed to turn off the Nintex services on my app and web servers then redeploy the solutions.  This resolved the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Great to hear! Can you mark your question as answered to let other people see the problem has been resoved?

Badge

Could you clarify the solution? Do you mean you stopped the Nintex service within windows services on your WFE and APP servers?

Badge +1

Just confirming I also have to manually stop the Nintex services every time I do the upgrade deployment. I receive the same "process in use" error every time I try to deploy, and this happens in every farm, every time.

Solution: manually go into services.msc and stop all the Ninex services, before performing any installations/upgrades.

Then manually start the services after the upgrade.