cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Error: failed to start workflow. the workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have a workflow which is triggered on Item Created and Item modified.

There were no immediate changes made to the workflow but it is getting in error occured state for few items not all.

"Error: failed to start workflow. the workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to."

Please assist.

Nintex_error.PNG

Solutions tried :

I have republished the workflow.

Commit Pending changes is placed at top section of workflow.

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Error: failed to start workflow. the workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to

Jump to solution

Has anyone found a way to query the SharePoint workflow history and terminate the workflow automatically via Nintex and rerun it?  We do this for all other error conditions that are trapped by Nintex, but this one is not seen in the Nintex history since the workflow has not started.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Error: failed to start workflow. the workflow cannot access the item that it has been applied to

Jump to solution

You're automatically finding/rerunning workflow errors?! Would you share how you do this? This is one of the problems I'm having.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm discovering that I've got a huge problem with this (almost every recent workflow has erred). Am I right in suspecting that my "On New" workflow makes changes to the list item which starts the "On Change" workflow which then can't access the list item because the "On New" workflow is still running? Not sure where to begin with this. Do I need to have only one workflow that processes both new and changed items?

Update: Two observations worth noting.

1. This seems to be related to publisher permissions somehow.

If I publish under an account that has SCA permissions, the workflows function without error.

If I publish under an account that has only Full Control permissions to the site, list and list items, the error occurs.

If I then give that second account SCA permissions, the workflows function without error. And if I subsequently remove the SCA permission, the workflow errors again.

2. Seems to also be a timing issue.

When I first publish both workflows ("On New" and "On Change" and then add a list item, the workflows run very slowly, but they always run regardless of who the publisher was. When I add a second or subsequent item, the workflows run quickly, but then will fail or not depending on the publisher.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Jeff,

By reading your observation, I think its a timing issue, as already one WF is running on the item so second workflow is not able to access that item as I think error is : could not update item.....  We need to check all the blocks where item update is taking place and reduce number of update items may be using buildString concept.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I think you are right with this being a permissions issue. Every time a workflow is started, it runs based on the permissions on the current users. For example, I had a workflow that changed the user who create the item permissions to "Read" after an item was created. Then I was scheduling another workflow to run at the 30-day mark to send them an e-mail reminder. Every time the workflow would attempt to start, I was getting this error.

The fix:

I added an Action Set to my workflow. If you are familiar at all with SharePoint Designer Workflows, they have something called an Impersonation Step. This step allows workflow steps to run as the user who published the workflow, rather than the permissions of the current user. In Nintex, this is done using an Action Set. Once added to a page, select to configure the action. Then, in the navigation select "Common". You will see an option to select "Run as workflow owner", make sure you check that box. Then any steps that you need to run at elevated permissions (such as starting other workflows), just drag them inside of the Action Set.

I know this is an older post, but since it didn't look like it had an answer yet, I figured I would give you my thoughts on the issue. There may be other factors involved in your issue, but just using the Action Set was the fix for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi! I also faced this issue recently. Really strange issue.. my workflow runs normally before but recenty starts to crashing.

And "Run as workflow owner" helps to fix! But nevertheless it is a workaround, not a fix ) anyway, thank you for suggestion!

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

We found that this error was related to permissions on the HiddenTaxonomyList which should have read access to everyone and didn't (following a migration).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi together, hi @anshita,

I got the same error, but:

1. I run all actions in a action set as "Workflow Owner".
  2. "Commit Pending Changes" at the beginning doesn't help
  3. On the TaxonomyHiddenList, everybody has read permissions

Thanks in advantage!

Best regards,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Sorry to be reviving this old discussion - did you ever find out how to do that? I'd be very interested!

0 Kudos