Question

start workflow before item added to the list/library

• 9 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

hi team, 

Now i have a list workflow. Usually user need to add the record to the list then start the workflow either manually/automatically. Can we have the workflow to start before adding the entry to the list or library? 

Meaning, when user start the workflow, the form will include the required data in the list, then user enter and attach file at the same time

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @kennylim 

hi team, 

Now i have a list workflow. Usually user need to add the record to the list then start the workflow either manually/automatically. Can we have the workflow to start before adding the entry to the list or library? 

Meaning, when user start the workflow, the form will include the required data in the list, then user enter and attach file at the same time

The list workflow is connected to a list and a list item. If there is no list item how would you trigger the workflow? Perhaps you meant a site workflow?
Even if you started a site workflow, how would you know which users to target?

Maybe, what you wish to accomplish can be done this way

- User fills a Form (I want to start the workflow - YES/NO) - very minimal form
 - Form validation. If YES allow form to submit. If NO, disallow submit 
 - User submits Form.
 - New List Item created and workflow is triggered
 - Task Assigned to User with custom form. 
 - The form will include the required data in the list, then user enter and attach file at the same time
 - User submits Form. Workflow continues 

Badge +2

Hi @kennylim 

hi team, 

The list workflow is connected to a list and a list item. If there is no list item how would you trigger the workflow? Perhaps you meant a site workflow?
Even if you started a site workflow, how would you know which users to target?

Maybe, what you wish to accomplish can be done this way

- User fills a Form (I want to start the workflow - YES/NO) - very minimal form
 - Form validation. If YES allow form to submit. If NO, disallow submit 
 - User submits Form.
 - New List Item created and workflow is triggered
 - Task Assigned to User with custom form. 
 - The form will include the required data in the list, then user enter and attach file at the same time
 - User submits Form. Workflow continues 

hi. ok. for instance. i have a site workflow to ask for user input and attachment. is it possible to create a list item with these user entered input and attachment? cause i noticed ‘create item’ task doesnt allow us to attach the file to the list