cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Enforce unique entries on multiple columns using JavaScript

Hello,

I want to prevent duplicate entries rather than clean them up with a workflow afterwards.  SharePoint only allows for this on one field per row.  I need to check at least two columns per row to determine if an entry is unique.  I've been searching Nintex Community and Google and came across a script that uses ajax to check field values in a list. I've adjusted the script to suit my list and tested it using a default SharePoint form.  It worked very nicely.  However, when I tested this same script (with some adjustments to selectors to suit the class names I added in the Nintex form), the script notifies the user that their entry is a duplicate but then still saves the item to the list.  Is there something significantly different about the "Submit" process with Nintex forms that would cause this?  When the script encounters a duplicate in the default SharePoint form, the "Save" button doesn't proceed with saving the item.

This is what my script looks like:

// adding javascript to button onclick event to call checkExist() function, saves existing onclick event to variable
    var oc = $('input[value="Submit"]').attr('onclick');
    $('input[value="Submit"]').attr('onclick','if (checkExist()){alert("Employee already exists!");} else {'+ oc +'}');

//variable to hold Ajax result
    var dataResults;

//Ajax to populate data from list
    $.ajax({
        url: "https://nameofsite/_api/web/lists/getbytitle('New%20Employee%20Request')/items?$select=n9xv,Title",
        type: "GET",
        async: false,
        headers: { "Accept": "application/json;odata=verbose" },
        success: function(data) {
            dataResults = data.d;
        }   
    });

function checkExist(){
        var empName = $('.employee-name-control').val();
        var title = $('.position-title-control').val();   

var c = null;

// get list items, n9xv is position title, title is employee name
        $.each(dataResults, function(i, item){
            $.each(item, function(i, dt){
                if (dt.Title == empName && dt.n9xv == title){
                    c = true;
                    return false;
                }
            });
        });
        return c; 

};  ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Is there something I'm missing?  Any help is appreciated!  Thank you.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Enforce unique entries on multiple columns using JavaScript

Hi Angela,

you could try to let SharePoint validate the input. If it fails it will surely prevent data from being saved.

SharePoint Column Validation Examples | Mike Smith's Tech Training Notes SharePoint, PowerShell and ... 

Best regards

Enrico

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Why not create an auxiliary column that contains the contents of both columns concatenated?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I can concatenate the two fields but I can't make a calculated field "unique" as SharePoint doesn't offer that option.

Perhaps I can try using a lookup on the form to check if anything matches with the concatenated field?  I'll give that a go....

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply