Copy Item Permission When Creating Item in Another List

• 20 November 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +12

I have a list where inheritance is broken and each item has unique permission. Once my process is complete, I need to move it to another list (using create item) but need to assign same permission as in original list.

5 replies

Badge +12

Bump...

@SimonMuntz .... @vadim_tabakman .....any suggestions?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I think I answered a similar question somewhere else.
The only way I could figure out how to do this was to use a SharePoint web service that could read the current permissions.
I havent tested this or attempted it.
Badge +5

I have had to do the same thing in the past. It was easier to write a webservice, wrap that up in a WSP, deploy it, then call it from the Workflow. Thankfully Visual Studio still allows the creation of legacy SOAP webservices, which will talk to the various SharePoint SOAP webservices.

Unfortunately it's one of the rare things you might need to do that are actually really fiddly - and trying to do it with calls to the various SharePoint Webservices directly from the workflow will probably take longer to figure out that just writing the entire thing in C# as a WebService... it's going to touch on role definitions, assignments, list items... like I said... fiddly :)

Badge +12

@SimonMuntz .....Using web service we can get site or list permission, but can we get item permission too? Do you know which web service is that?

@beckettj .....Unfortunately we don't have means to do any development. We have to use OOB options.

Do either of you know if API will help me with this?

Badge +12

@TomaszPoszytek , @cassymfreeman .....can either of you help me with this?