Issue while restoring Nintex Configuration Database - SharePoint 2013

• 4 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi Experts, I am trying to prepare my SP 2013 environment for a SP 2016 migration. I am trying to follow the steps defined in the section "Use an existing configuration database". As defined I have stopped ‘SharePoint Timer service’ from WFE and APP server by opening the services.msc window on each of the server. Took Nintex configuration DB backup using the SQL Management studio. Until this everything worked.

As a next step, I restarted the ‘SharePoint Timer service’ on WFE and APP sever. Now when I try to restore the backed up DB using the restore command I am facing an error indicating that the DB is in use. Here is the actual error message – “Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use”. The error indicates that the config DB is being used and I need to stop it somehow.

Here is what I tried so far:

1. Tried keeping the Timer service in Stopped status
  2. Change DB .ldf and .mdf file names along with DB name to be different than original DB name

Can anyone help me with understanding what step I am missing? Do I need to detach the DB before backup and restore? I have seen the instructions to detach using NWAdmin tool  for content DBs. Is this step needed for configuration DBs as well?

Note: I am currently trying to migrate SP2013 into development environment of SP2016 so detaching the configuration DB sounds scary as it might impact user interactions with the Production.

Regards,

Vivek Bhat

1 reply

Badge +1

Was able to resolve the issue with the help of below action:

By default, the RESTORE GUI will do a tail-log backup of the database, using NO_RECOVERY. This is your original database, and this will fail if you have users in the database (the NO_RECOVERY option of that first BACKUP LOG command).

What you need to do is to uncheck that option in the restore dialog (the options page, "Take tail-log backup...".