cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Email sent more than one

Hi Nintex Experts,

I am new to Nintex and would like your help. Please see below picture.

We have 10 candidates referred to a vacancy. Everytime a new candidate filled in, an email sent out to alert the vacancy holder. I have problem that even candidate 1 filled in and email sent out, if candidate 2 or 3 filled in then another email for candidate 1 keeps sending out again which more than one email for ONE candidate to be sent out. How to stop it that only one email for one candidate to be sent out.

Also the vacancy holder will update the result for each candidate (This result can be changed) and I also need an email sent out to the staff who fills the candidate in. How can I stop only one email sent out? (not more than one). I understand that any changes within the ITEM will be considered as updated and email will be sent out but any Nintex workflow action to stop this happen!!

Many thanks for your assistance,

Man

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Re: Email sent more than one

Hi,

This will depend on how you are triggering the emails. You will need to track if an email has already been sent for a candidate and mark that this has already occurred. Perhaps a column on the item that is updated after the email has been sent. Then only send an email when this is not set. The other thing would be to make sure that you are only triggering the email send on the current item and not all items.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your prompt assistance.

Yes the email sent out for the current Item only, not others.

For the column to mark that email sent out (for each candidate with filled information), will it be done manually or any workflow action to mark that column that email has been sent?

Regards,

Man

0 Kudos
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Hi,

As this is your workflow triggering the emails, I would add a "Set field value" control after your email notification action to set this column to the sent value.

Then make sure that you are filterring to only send the email when this value is not set.

I am curious as to why the other canditate entries are triggering the emails too, as it should only be working on the current item and the current To address. In your notification, what do you have set as your To address and is your workflow set to only trigger on New items or on Updates as well?

If you are triggering on updates - as well as New items, you may need to separate the logic based on what occurs on an update as opposed to a New item.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Mark,

As you can see the attachment, it is ONE item only. Within this ITEM, many things will be updated regularly. It can be from candidate 1 filled up to candidate 10. An email will be sent out to the vacancy Manager (the upper part where it says Completed by Vacancy Manager) everytime a new candidate filled in; I have managed to stop multiple emails sent out by creating state machines but I don't think it is a good way! (e.g candidate 1 filled in, email sent out about candidate 1/candidate 2 filled in, email sent out about candidate 2/ No longer email for candidate 1 sent out and so on...)

As you can see, no where I need to "set field value"  action in the workflow as the referral result has up to 6 different values and each time a value updated by the vacancy manager, an email sent to staff who fills that candidate in. It sounds simple but within ONE ITEM with many regular changes, it can be complicated.

I am trying to find any Nintex workflow book for office 365 but seems nothing available in the market. Any suggestion on self-development resources will be great; of course beside Nintex Community with valuable experience and skills to help out.

Cheers,

Man

0 Kudos
mapeacock
Nintex Newbie

Hi Man,

That is indeed a lot trickier, as you have everything on the one item. Short of having a flag on the individual referral rows on your form to set which line is being updated, I'm not sure how you would trap the change to an individual row. I'm sure there would be the ability within javascript, to reset the update flags on form load, but I am no javascript expert.

Perhaps a more java savvy community member may be able to help you out there.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi,

Do you have a Nintex form here ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your assistance. I have built the form from Infopath, not from Nintex form.

Cheers,

Man

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Then believe me you are not in the good situation right now

Because:

a) If you want to manage your list items, like you talked about sending email, then you will need to populate these repeating list items in sharepoint list. Then you will be able to you workflows to trigger emails and other action. But it means you will need to code that form with C# and use some techniques to update and create new items after form edited and it comes with big price I did one solution like this believe me about 1000 lines of code it includes very advanced infopath form with error managing and so on.

b) You can recreate you solution without using infopath.

c) One more solution I see you could create one field which will hold people who needs to be emaild and that field would be sharepoint column. That field information format should be {FirstName LastName};{FirstName LastName}; or {username};{username}. Then after form is edited you will be able to trigger a workflow which will parse your field and will send emails to corresponding people. But to achieve this you will need to iterate through you repeating table and update form column which is attached to sharepoint column.

I hope it will help you to choose the best way.

0 Kudos