cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Editing the same workflow in multiple libraries

Jump to solution

If you save a workflow as a template and re-use it in multiple libraries, when you have to make an edit, can you just edit the template? Or do you have to go to each library workflow individually to make the edits?

How does this work? Anywhere I can find out more information on using templates?

Labels: (2)
5 Replies
jackgelo
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Editing the same workflow in multiple libraries

Jump to solution

Hi,

if you create a Site Template Workflow or a Site Collection Template Workflow and you apply it to several list/libraries, when you modify the template you will modify the workflow in all lists/libraries.

Giacomo

0 Kudos
patrick_hosch
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Stacie, given that you apply the same workflow to various libraries, I'd recommend to use content types and apply the workflow to the content type which you then use in the various libraries. that way you only change one workflow rather than X workflows.

If the content types in your library are slightly different, create a parent content type and then use child content types to apply to the libraries. The workflow would be created on the parent content type. All children will inherit the workflow.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Is this using what is called the Reusable workflows? I am trying to get familiar with it. I created one to test it out, but then couldn't find how to apply it to a library or list. Do you have information on that? I only see the option to pick something that was saved as a template, but those are individual workflows once used. I don't see how to pick a reusable workflow and apply it.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you. I will look more into workflows using content types. If you have any good resources, feel free to send me some links!

0 Kudos
andrewg
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Make sure you create a Reusable Workflow template as posted. Creating a Workflow Template could mean that you are creating a starting point workflow to be used in the designer when you click New Workflow. Those templates will not update existing workflows, they are only starting points. Reusable is the key.

I think this link should work on creating reusable workflows on content types http://help.nintex.com/helpdwnlds/NintexWorkflow2013UserManual.html#Nintex.Workflow.ReusableWorkflow...

One thing that is often forgotten are User Defined Actions. They are snippets of a workflow that can be created on a site or site collection or farm. This UDAs or snippets can be reused in any workflow and can also be updated and pushed out to all the workflows that use them. So if you need to update a part of the workflow instead of a whole, UDA's can be very handy.

Best Practice for Workflow Design - User Defined Actions

See section 3.15 in the link below to Updating User Defined Action in Published Workflows

http://help.nintex.com/helpdwnlds/NintexWorkflow2013UserManual.html#Nintex.Workflow.RepublishingUdas 

View solution in original post