How to keep lookup item from form all the way through workflow

• 15 April 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I have created a form for Capital purchases that have quite a few list lookups. The workflow needs to go through 3 points of approval, the end users do not want to go and click edit the form every time so I took the original the form export and imported it into each of their respected flexi tasks.

This is works great that they they can make any changes if they need to before making their decision. The problem that I am having is how to filter my list lookups so it returns the original value from the form, right not it keeps going back to the default selection.

Thank you,

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what is 'default selection' in your meaning?

do you set it somehow by a javascript code?

if so, then you will have to adapt you code so that it is not invoked in task form.

Badge +3

what is 'default selection' in your meaning?

In the the flexi tasks, it is looking for the user to select an item from the List Lookup, I do not put a default value you. On the Form that starts the workflow the initiator selects the value from the drop down list, this value is then saved to single line text field.

do you set it somehow by a javascript code?

No javascript is being used.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so, if I understood it correctly:

- on the new/edit from you have a dropdown control connected to a single line text field from the list. dropdown values are defined within the form.

- on the task form you want to connect/match value of single line text field to a list lookup control.

is it so?

this will not work OOTB.

your better options is to put list lookup control on the new/edit form as well.

Badge +3

Thank you Marian,

On the new/edit form, this is a List Lookup with the Text connected to the the single line text field. The dropdown values are not defined within the form but through the list lookup which is connected to a sharepoint custom list.

I want to keep values that were selected on the new/edit form when the users open the flexi task form.

Thank you,

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's ideal case, however, lookup works on IDs not on texts.

so you will have to store ID of item to lookup for in your list.

easiest way for you to get it working correctly is define a lookup field in the list. if you need that, it allows you to bring other columns (like texts) from source lookup list as well.

then you just simply drag and drop the column on both forms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Tim,

I've run into this in the past, and although it is frustrating, I'll start by saying that it can be achieved.  

First question:  Do you toy with any of the Enabled/Disabled settings on the control?   There are many permutations when you take into account all the config settings/rules/custom code that you can place on a given control and it can be that a given combination causes this frustrating situation.   What worked for me was avoid setting custom configs on the controls across your approval forms.  Rely solely on Form Rules to achieve disable/enable functionality.  I hope this gets you started looking in the right direction.

Thanks