Error installing K2 for Sharpoint on MOSS server

• 24 September 2010
  • 9 replies

Badge +8

Our production sharepoint farm is configured with a load balancer, two MOSS Servers, with one SQL server. I'm adding in one Blackpearl server, with the K2 databases on a second SQL Server.

Our QA environment is identical, but with only one MOSS server (still connected to a load balancer). I have managed to get K2 Blackpearl installed and functioning correctly in QA ... K2 and Workspace on the K2 box, and K2 for Sharepoint on the MOSS server.

But I'm having great difficulty with our PROD environment. I have the K2 server built, with K2 and Workspace installed. I have my MOSS web application built, and my site collection created and configured as we want it. So the last piece is to install K2 for Sharepoint on the MOSS server. It fails to add the K2 solutions to Central admin, and fails to create the K2 for Sharepoint tab in Central Admin. It DOES add the K2 Designer solution. I can't find any meaningful error messages other than timeouts, no event log entries, nothing to help determine the problem.

Has anyone seen this issue, and how did you correct it?

Edit: one additional clue indicates it may be a problem with the way the web application is set up. I can navigate to the site and add doclibs, lists, etc and  set it up the way I need it. But when I go to deploy my Infopath forms (as content types) Infopath tells me the site URL is not valid. When I use the FQDN the message changes to 'it appears that wss is not installed on this site.

Thanks

9 replies

Badge +6

You have to run the setup manager on all WFE and CA before activating them. On Solution management page, you MUST have all the following solutions in Deployed state.

k2 for sharepoint - core components.wsp
k2 for sharepoint - management console.wsp
k2 for sharepoint - process portals.wsp
k2 for sharepoint - web designer.wsp
k2 for sharepoint - workflow core.wsp
k2worklistwebpart.wsp

If you are unable to deploy them from setup manager, do it with stsadm

eg: stsadm -o addsolution -filename "C:Program FilesCommon Filesmicrosoft sharedWeb Server Extensions12CONFIGK2K2 for SharePoint - Workflow Core.wsp"

Badge +8

Thanks, Sujeeth.

I was able to go ahead and install K2 on both WFEs and then deploy the solutions with stsadm.

All I've got left is a slight Kerberos issue.

Badge +3

Hi Steve,

Did you manage to get the Kerberos issue resolved or not.

If not, can you please provide me with the information so that I can find a resolution for you.

Regards,

Coenie

Badge +8

Coenie,

Not yet ... I am inhibited by needing other people to do SPNs, and they are difficult to get time from.

My environment is this:

K2 service account: k2bpadmin
blackpearl and workspace on nt2k2bpprod01
sql server on wssql01
2 wfe servers mossif01 and mossif02
moss web application named teamapps (.emn.com)
DNS name teamapps points to the load balancer for the 2 wfe servers

SPNs as follows:

HTTP/NT2K2BPPROD01.emn.com
HTTP/NT2K2BPPROD01
HTTP/TEAMAPPS.EMN.COM
HTTP/TEAMAPPS
K2Server/NT2K2BPPROD01.emn.com:5252
K2Server/NT2K2BPPROD01:5252
K2HostServer/NT2K2BPPROD01.emn.com:5555
K2HostServer/NT2K2BPPROD01:5555

But I'm getting an authorization error on the K2 Site Settings / K2 for Sharepoint Configuration page (in the Sharpoint Group Provider Settings area of the page, I get the message Authentication required for session C1034DFDE654B071CA51BA434804854E

I'm at a loss trying to determine the problem, and would appreciate any help.

Badge +6

This is documented in K2 documentation :)

K2 blackpearl Installation Guide > Troubleshooting the Installation > SharePoint - Authentication is required for session error

Badge +8

I'm not well-versed in SPNs so am having difficulty figuring this out. None of what seems to be indicated exists in our QA environment, yet QA is working fine. The only difference is that QA has 1 WFE, PRD has 2.

After running a K2 version update to 1170 I ran thru the CA wizard to deploy the solutions. This all went well, but when I clicked Finish it started applying configuration settings. It has been running for a long time: (http://mossif01:9099/_admin/K2/ConfigDeployment.aspx) The 'Operation in Progress ... applying content and updating configuration settings ...' message has been showing for over an hour.

Badge +6

Do you have many site collections? Are they very big? it could be that the IIS is timing out...

Badge +8

We have 8 Sharepoint web apps, and K2 is only deployed to one of them. There are about 2200 site collections between all web apps, and only 1 on the teamapps web app where K2 is deployed.

The K2 for Sharpoint Configuration wizard in CA is resulting in an error after a lttle more than an hour. When I go the K2 for Sharepoint tab in CA it only shows the wizard screen, so it isn't configured properly. Could this be due to Kerberos issues?

Badge +8

After reviewing the documentation, we added SPNs for the MOSS Central Admin app pool account. We also had to trust this account for delegation.

Then we discovered a couple of duplicate SPNs ... on the service account and the machine name account. Once those were removed from the machine name account things worked fine. I did have to uninstall and reinstall K2 on the WFEs, and the K2 Configuration still timed out. But after timeout I went to the CA K2 for Sharepoint page and everything seemed to work fine.

Thanks for all your help.