How to stop a workflow from running again when an item is modified

• 1 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I have a basic email workflow setup which triggers when my list Status field is marked as Complete.  The workflow settings are setup to run when an item is modified, but how can I stop this workflow from running again if a user makes a change to the item?  The initial email goes to the client and we don't want them to get another duplicative email as they only need one notification that it was completed.

4 replies

Badge +16

update your starting condition to utilise the (previous) value.

i.e. like this:

Badge +3

Thank you, Cassy.  I have a follow-up question, and I apologize if this is super basic, but could you help me understand what the (previous value) action mean or does to this workflow?  I am still learning, so I appreciate the assistance!

Katie

Badge +8

In the screenshot, the starting condition is:  If the current value of the Status field is Completed, and the Previous Value of the Status field was not Completed, then start this workflow.

So if the Status field was In Progress (the Previous Value), but now it's modified to be Completed, the workflow will fire.

Badge

I tried and It doesnt seems to be working. The workflow is restarting again when an item is modified. The workflow status is changing from Completed to Progress.6070i6078843C5ED15698.png