How to move list items to subfolder - SP 2010 (NW 2010 Standard)

• 28 October 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone out there has discovered a way to use a workflow to move lists items to a subfolder within the same list. I've seen a number of threads discussing simply recreating the list item in a subfolder but have yet to see mention of a solution that will allow the original list item to be moved to allow the version history and original item metadata to be retained. I expect we would need to use the call web service action with the Lists web service UpdateListItems method but haven't been able to get this to work for what I need to do.

Any clues are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies

Badge +4

Hi Steve,

There is no specific move action.

Current actions, 'Copy Item' and 'Copy to SharePoint' won't help you in this scenario.

You will have to copy the item first then delete it using the 'Delete an Item' action.

Also, using the Call Web Service action you can use the 'UpdateListItems' (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/lists.lists.updatelistitems.aspx) method to update and delete list items.

Regards,

Shirin

Badge +3

Thanks Shirin.

I didn't expect to be able to move with any specific OOB actions and planned to use Call Web Service to call the UpdateListItems method. Do you know which properties would need to be updated for a list item to be moved to a subfolder? I see the following refer to a path in one way or the other but have never attempted to update them - any thoughts?

• ows_FileRef
  • ows_FileDirRef
  • ows_ServerUrl
  • ows_EncodedAbsUrl
Badge

Hi,

Have you managed to completee the functionality? I am also on the same boat and need help/guidance to resolve it.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have a look on this Vadim Tabakman‌'s post. it's designed for 2013 but maybe it will be applicable for 2010 as well

Nintex Workflow - Archiving a List Item with Workflow History - Vadim Tabakman