cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Document Library Workflow Start on Item Creation - Nintex Workflows for O-365

Scenario:
We have a simple Nintex (O365) workflow on a Document Library that has a Content Type. This workflow has to be initiated on creation of the Item (and not on modification)

While user uploads the document and fills the columns of the content type, and tries to click Save, he/she is shown an error message shown in the attached image.

When we investigated, the workflow had already initiated, and supposedly locked the current item? This is an issue, since the workflow is initiated even before the document is fully-submitted with metadata. We used to have an action to ‘wait until edit completed’ or similar in Nintex On-Premise workflows. Is there anything similar in O-365 Workflows? If not, what would be the recommendation?

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
praios81
Nintex Newbie

Re: Document Library Workflow Start on Item Creation - Nintex Workflows for O-365

I'm not sure there's a builtin solution right now already.

As a workaround, you could try to implement a required field in the list and require check in of the documents in the library which should prevent the workflow from starting until the document has been checked in the first time.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Document Library Workflow Start on Item Creation - Nintex Workflows for O-365

I was going to suggest the same, a required field and also using Require Check Out will prevent the document being "created" as far as the workflow initiation is concerned, until Check In is done.

0 Kudos
eiben
Nintex Newbie

Are you using a Nintex Form? If so, you could add a column to you list called 'StartWorkflow' and then set the value to some value (I chose '1') during save.

Then I change the workflow to run on every update, and add a filter-action to the worklfow to check if the value of my StartWorkflow-column is equal to '1'. If so the workflow will proceed (and update to column-value to '0' to prevent restarting the workflow).

As a "bonus" you'll get the chance to edit field values and save them, without the workflow being started (just like a draft). You just have to add a button to the form, which doesn't set the StartWorkflow-Value!

Automation Master
Automation Master

Hello ‌, did you implement one of these solutions?

0 Kudos