Using Nintex Workflow to Create New Calendar Event with Recurrence

• 25 June 2015
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

I have created a workflow that takes the dates from a form submission and creates a new calendar event for it. I have a question about the recurrence settings section. When i create an event through the standard calendar, i get recurrence options. I need to know how to replicate these options within the workflow so that new events are created with the same settings. Take a look at the screenshots and let me know if I can provide any more information.

Each event that is added to the calendar should be a repeating event, daily, every weekday, with the end date equal to the End Time for the item.

case-management-recurrence.jpg

case-management-recurrence2.jpg <-- calendar settings i want to replicate

5 replies

Badge +17

Candace,

I've struggled with this also and tried to figure some of that out.  The logic required to do the recurrence piece is a bit hectic and I'm not sure the workflow action supports that within the create an item action.  This isn't a bad thing, just a hugely deep level of customization that is beyond the scope of that action.

I've generally just created an event, and if needed, modified it manually to avoid this issue.  I haven't tried it in a while so the updates may have changed that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Good morning,

I've had a similar request in the past, I recreated this for you on my environment happy.png.

1. You need to use a Call Web Service Action

2. Specify the URL as <Site URL>/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx

3. Put in your credentials (the credentials that have the correct permissions)

4. Select the UpdateListItems WebMethod from the Drop Down

5. Put in the GUID of your list (including the "{" "}" brackets) .

6. Under the updates(xml) field put in the following xml:

<m:UpdateListItems>

<m:listName>{GUID OF YOUR LIST}</m:listName>

<m:updates><Batch OnError="Continue" ListVersion="1">

<Method ID="1" Cmd="New">

<Field Name="Title">The title of your event</Field>

<Field Name="Location">The location of your event</Field>

<Field Name="EventDate">2015-08-03T10:00:00Z</Field>

<Field Name="EndDate">2015-04-27T16:00:00Z</Field>

<Field Name="EventType">1</Field>

<Field Name="Description">A summary of this event</Field>

<Field Name="fRecurrence">1</Field>

<Field Name="fAllDayEvent">0</Field>

<Field Name="RecurrenceData"><![CDATA[<recurrence><rule><firstDayOfWeek>su</firstDayOfWeek><repeat><daily dayFrequency="1" /></repeat><repeatForever>FALSE</repeatForever></rule></recurrence>]]></Field>

</Method>

</Batch></m:updates>

7. Please ensure you put in your EventDate and EventEnd Date and Time in a similar format to what I have above happy.png

Badge +17

Niceeeeee. Good answer!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Thanks man glad I could help happy.png

Badge +3

@pesikwane - I am a noob and struggling with a similar situation. I have a form where my users can enter a series in which occurrences may need to be edited. I cannot get the occurrence itself to edit therefore I am thinking I could use a workflow to create individual items based on the information in the repeating event section. I would need a loop to create multiple events based on the end date of the series as well as frequency. I have tried extracting the recurrence data and building based on the extraction however as mentioned previously it is tedious, cumbersome and messy. Do you have any suggestions for me to implement a process where an occurrence of a series (that isn't a true item) can be either edited or set as its own item with its own ID?