Simplify UI

• 27 June 2008
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

K2 does have some slick UI - but as a developer I would prefer it work fast. UI transistions mean nothing to me.

6 replies

Badge +10
Do you feel that the design interface is not very fast? 
Badge +8

I couldn't agree more.

The slow eye candy pages is not what developers want.

I don't want something that looks good, I want something that works, fast.

Badge +10

Do you feel that we have made improvements to the design interfaces in the latest 0803 release?  This has been something we have been working on and will continue to do so because we want the experience to be great.

Do you have any good examples of pieces that are slower than others? 

Do you find specific situations that are especially slow?

Badge +8

Yes Chris, 803 was an improvement.

I can't think of any one piece which is much slower than another. Developing with BP (on my 1.2GB VMware Box) is sluggish as opposed to snappy. Deploying SmartObjects is pretty fast compared to process deployment, but just watching the Host Server console during a deploy kinda explain that.

The requirement BP has on resources (CPU + Memory) has grown beyond what my notebook can handle. So I have invested in a Dual Quad-core Xeon 64-bit Server with 16GB RAM for my BP development.

Badge

Could just be me (and i am kind of a newbie at this k2 stuff) but there seems to be a ton of stuff going on with K2 to expect it to run snappy in a virtual environment on a notebook.  I have Visual Studio running on a note book connecting to K2 on a VM box and it works well.  Its not Light speed, but I really cant complain.

Badge +3

Another suggestion would be not gray out the whole UI when something is clicked in Managment. The problem with the gray -from a UI design perspective- is that it's too disruptive and it feels like a screen change instead of a simple "Loading..." feel. I appreaciate the need to lock the screen controls during the loading process but that could be done without graying anything out. I find that not graying the UI out makes the UI feel snappier.

Greetings,
Gabor