XML Fields - Activities - Questions

• 23 July 2008
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

Hello,

I have workflows with InfoPath Integration. For every InfoPathClient Activity I can see in the Context Browser within XML Fields - Activities the InfoPath Form.

Questions:

When are this fields available? (I guess only within the activity)

Which Form-Content is viewed? The entries on Process level or on Activity level?

When I change one field entry (if this is possible) - do K2 write this back to the process level xml fields of the form???

Regards

Anja

2 replies

Badge +9

You are correct in that Activity level XML fields are only available within their specific activity (and any lines connected to that activity). 

If you change an activity XML field it is not usually automatically copied back to the process level as there is not always a corresponding Process level XML field. If you need to copy data from an activity level XML field to a process level, you'll need to add code to a server event, or modify the activity Succeeding Rule to do this.  Note, I mention that XML fields are not usually automatically synchronized between Process and Activity level.  There is one exceptio: InfoPath integration.  If you integrate an InfoPath form with a K2 process, the schema is stored as a process level XML field.  Then if you use the InfoPath Client Event, the K2 process will create an Activity level XML field for that schema and then automatically copy of data from/to these fields.

HTH.

Badge +11

Just a general comment.  There are three types of datafields within a process:

- Process Level - available to any activity in the process.

- Activity Level (Shared) - available inside one activity and its associated rules, there is one instance of these variables for the entire activity.  These are private to the activity to which they belong:  one activity cannot access the shared activity datafields of another.

- Activity Instance Level - available inside one activity and its associated rules, there is one instance of these variables for each slot of the activity.  Each slot gets its own set of variables.  This is useful when you need to capture data for each slot within an activity.

The same idea also applies to XML datafields.