Creating a Nintex workflow to manage SharePoint 2013 Document Management/Deletion policy

• 28 November 2016
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

I've got records that we are maintaining in a sharepoint 2013 library that are subject to a regulatory retention period.  I have activated in the SharePoint library the records declaration feature to allow manual declaration of these records when added to the library.  I also created a retention policy on these documents for the 5-year required retention based upon a metadata field representing the record start date.   Currently I have the policy defined to move these records to the recycle bin but our administrators set up an auto empty of the recycle bin for every 30 days.   In some instances we are required to maintain these records beyond the 5-year period so it is risky to put them in the recycle bin over concerns that a record gets deleted that should not have been.  I see in the SharePoint retention policy there is an option to start a workflow so I was trying to create one in Nintex that would move any records from the main "active" library to a different "scheduled for destruction pending compliance review" library so we could set up an alert to our team members when documents move out of the active records library over to the pending review library.  Then we can examine the records to make sure they are okay to delete. 

I'm not sure how to build this workflow in Nintex.  Anyone else have any tips and/or guide on how to build one?

9 replies

Badge +11

Hi Craig,

seems like all you need is to copy your document from one library to another. If this is all you need the "Copy Item" action should be sufficient. For configuring this action you only have to provide the source library, the destination library and a where statement to decide which item(s) should be moved.

However, I'm not sure if a Nintex Workflow can be started via a detention policy. If not, you could also use SharePoint Designer to build this simple workflow as it also has a "Copy Item" action that works the same way.

Regards

Philipp

Badge +1

Thanks Phillip. I’ll give that a try. It seems that our IT folks are trying to get away from the SharePoint workflow and moving us to Nintex so I’m not sure the long-term use of SharePoint workflows will last. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Craig McClure

Director, International Trade Compliance | Corporate Counsel

Phone: (512) 424-1161 | Mobile: (512) 565-9586

Email: craig.mcclure@us.tel.com<mailto:craig.mcclure@us.tel.com>

For Tokyo Electron Employees, have you checked out the International Trade Compliance SharePoint site? Click here!<http://itc.sp.us.tel.com/SitePages/Home.aspx>

Badge +11

Getting away from the SharePoint workflows always is a good idea!

Please keep me informed if you can use the nintex workflow in your retention policy. I could try it myself, but I'm so laaaaaaaaazy at the moment silly.png

Badge +16

In retention policies you have the ability to add a retention stage which when you configure allows the selection of starting a workflow - is that what you wanted?

Badge +1

Hi there,

Yes, I see that in the SharePoint retention stage there is an option to start a workflow but what I can’t figure out is how to use an Nintex work flow. Seems that SharePoint wants to use the native workflows that come with it. Any tips on how to use a Nintex workflow when setting the retention stage? My idea is to move the records that are due for deletion to another document library for staging so we can verify they are not in a legal hold or otherwise need to be retained longer than the required period.

Best regards,

Craig McClure

For Tokyo Electron Employees, have you checked out the International Trade Compliance SharePoint site? Click here!<http://itc.sp.us.tel.com/SitePages/Home.aspx>

Badge +11

Hi Craig,

you can create a native SharePoint Workflow that calls the Nintex Webservice. The StartWorkflowOnListItem method should help you.

Nintex Web Service Reference

Working with Web Services in SharePoint 2013 Workflows using SharePoint Designer 2013

Example in Nintex WF but quite equal to SharePoint Designer WF

Badge +16

Yes this is possible.  you need to create a site collection reusable workflow template linked to the content type required for retention.  once you have created the workflow you need to associate it with the content type.  once you have done that you will see the workflow in the list of workflows found in the screenshot i sent earlier.  i have just tested this and it works - let me know if this does not make sense.

Badge

Hi Cassy/Craig,

I'm interested in doing this as well. Were you successful? I am still new to Nintex. If so, what were the steps you took?

Badge +1

Hello,

I was able to get a process that achieved the main objective so I’d say I was about 95% successful.

There are steps you would need to do in SharePoint first. My document library maintains regulatory records which have a five year retention requirement. I enabled “always allow manual records declaration” in the SharePoint records declaration settings. You may be able to use the automatic declaration setting but we need to add certain meta data elements when uploading the records so we couldn’t auto-declare. It’s a bit of hassle to manually declare records but we’re dealing with it. You also need to set up a retention policy in SharePoint. For my policy I have a workflow run when the records meet their five year retention period. The workflow starts with un-declaring the record then copies it to another library, sends an email notification to my team and then deletes the record from the library. The reason I have it set up to copy the records to another library is that we have to verify for legal reasons that we can in fact delete the records before we do. If your records do not require this, you could skip the step in the workflow where it copies to another library.

The only thing that I could not get to function is the notification I set up on the library where the records are copied. Evidently SharePoint can’t handle notifications when new records are loaded by way of a workflow. It’s not the end of the world since the workflow does send a notification when it runs but I was hoping to get verification that the documents were successfully loaded to the new library.

Here's the schematic of the workflow:

Good luck with yours.

Best regards,

Craig McClure