cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Did you ever need to document your workflow?

• Did you ever need to document your workflow?
  • How have you done it?
  • Do you think it 'd be useful a tool for that?
Labels: (2)
Tags (2)
18 Replies
rencygonzalez
Nintex Newbie

Re: Did you ever need to document your workflow?

What I have done is used snagit to take screenshots and then paste it into a word document. With snag it you can crop and add call outs or arrows to the screenshot using the snag it tools.  Next to the screen shot you could possibly add a few bullet points on what the actions are doing. I attached a sample screenshot of what I have in my workflow document. I hope it helps.sample wf.png

burkslm
Nintex Newbie

You can just change the text in the actions. That has been good enough for me.

Automation Master
Automation Master

Great suggestions so far, and I would say that the documentation that I've had to write depends greatly on the complexity of the workflow, as well as what would help the customer best understand the workflow/business process at hand.   This often includes a mixture of text with screen shots captured of the most important parts of the workflow (or sometimes the parts least likely to be understood).  You really can't go wrong as long as your documentation tells the story that is required to be told.

Thanks,

Mike

c_meyer
Nintex Newbie

Hey Fernado,

do you know the print functionality of Nintex Workflow.

There are 2 options. One is only print and one is called "print with notes".

When you configure an item, take the tab "labels" and in the section: "Notes to display", choose User defined and write your comment in this field. Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot2.jpg

When you print it, you can see your comments below the workflow.

With big workflows, you should split in Main- and subworkflows not only for readability.

Further information: Breaking up a large workflow, to split or not to split?Approach to splitting a Nintex Workflow  Defensive Workflow Design Part 3 - Separation of Concerns 

Cheers Christof

rencygonzalez
Nintex Newbie

That's a great idea too and I have tried that as well!

0 Kudos
c_meyer
Nintex Newbie

That's nice to hear..

Automation Master
Automation Master

When my audience is less technical I almost always use visio to document the process of the workflow.

Visio also helps when designing a workflow before build with technical teams as well. Then once it is built we can review using the screen captures or print outs of the workflow itself from the Nintex Designer with notes.

Many times I use Excel to supplement some areas that need to be documented. Such as notifications and tasks. With Excel we will map out the different components of the notifications. Like Subject, Body, and assigned to. This is very useful when building a workflow that has many notifications. But may not be necessary for a simpler workflow.

fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Aaron Labiosa 's tool named "Workflow Analyzer" has some useful features that could be used for documentation.

Take a look at >>> Workflow Analyzer - Initial Beta Release

0 Kudos
aaron_labiosa
Nintex Newbie

Pairing up the opensource tool Greenshot with Workflow Analyzer is what I like to use for documentation/annotation of workflows.