how to auto-record the first modify time, and don't get it updated on the next open

• 10 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

I am try to create an online check-in/out tool on SharePoint via using Nintex Form, the purpose is simple, once the item is created, I can use the *created* timeĀ  as this person's Check-in Time.

At the end of the day, this person will back to the same list, and open the item he/she created this morning, click on Save, then the last modify time can be used as this person's Check-out time. However, the problem is if this open come back to open the item to save again, the last modify time will get updated, the record will mess up....

does anyone know any better idea to auto-record the first modify time (check-out time), but not allow anyone to edit the time again.

I used try to add a *Date/time* on my form (enable on edit mode only) as the setting below, but I found two problem, 1. the time will be updated on every save 2. the time didn't be recorded precisely, e.g. 7:05pm will be record 8:00pm

179851_pastedImage_3.png

Thanks,
Zoe

5 replies

Badge +7

What you could do :

- create a speicfic SharePoint column, for example "First checkout"

- on Form saving, do something like "if and only if FirstCheckout is empty, copy Modified date in it" with javascript

You can't use the native "Created" or "Modified" columns, as they are managed by SharePoint.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Create a workflow to start on creation and then update a SharePoint column named firstDateTime

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello -

I would use a list workflow and trigger it on item creation to update timestamp your item. This keeps the update more manageable and allows for future expansion. If there is a need to add more functionality, you have a place for it already. I try to avoid code in my forms, but it is an option.

Hope this helps!

Badge +4

hi Thomas,

I have created a column on SharePoint named "Check Out Time", but I don't know where I should do the setting for the second step you mentioned "on Form saving, do something like "if and only if FirstCheckout is empty, copy Modified date in it" with javascript'', can you share more information with me? thanks!

Zoe

Badge +4

Hello Jesse and Hunth,

It works perfectly! Thanks a lot!

179929_pastedImage_9.png

one more question, do you happen to know how to calculate the total hour + mins by using current data I have collected?

thanks!

Zoe