cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Delegated approver name

Jump to solution

Is there a way of capturing the delegated approvers name please?

My workflow writes the selected approver(s) to a variable that we then use to populate our item approver field, but if the task is delegated we need to pick up the delegated approver's name. Is this possible? 

I've searched around but haven't been able to find an answer - the closest I've come is to the following - Nintex – Delegation Approver Name Problem | SharePoint Rider  -  from 2012 which suggests this was a bug at the time but has this been resolved?

Labels: (1)
Tags (1)
11 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: Delegated approver name

Jump to solution

You could create a workflow on the Task list. The startup condition would be when something is modified and set the condition where Assigned TO (Previous Value) is not equal to Assigned To. In the workflow capture the Assigned to name.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Kapil,

Many thanks for this I'll give it a try. I'm just surprised Nintex doesn't provide an easier means of identifying the delegated approver (such as a common reference field).

Steve

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

I have created a workflow on the Task List.  After testing I intend to change it to a when modified - automatic start.

in the mean time I wish to test various scenerios, but it seems that I am unable to manually start the workflow against list items.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Is the "Start Manually" check box checked in the Workflow Settings?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Yes, I have enabled Start Manually, enable WF to start from item menu, Require manage list rights, and several variation of the items.

I thinks that there may be something else that is not set within my configuration.

The behavior is that the Workflows Icon is disabled when I select the item.  The hover help offers little - Permissions, need to select an item, or the control might not work in this context.

I'm not sure why the context would be different from any other list.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Could you show a step by step on how to do this? I am very interested in this.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

"My workflow writes the selected approver(s) to a variable that we then use to populate our item approver field."

Could you share how you did this in detail?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The solution I have come up with is to create a workflow in the Workflow Task List.

Have the custom list where you wish to store the delegate approver with a Multi-line column called 'Approver'

First step is to go to the Workflow Tasks list, which can be found by going to Site Contents then selecting Workflow Tasks.

Here we need to create a workflow so go to create a Nintex Workflow in this list.

Then we are going to select the ‘Update item’ action.

Next we are going to configure the item. First in the Update column select the list where the Approver column is located.

We have to set it where ‘ID’ from the custom list is equal to the current item ‘Workflow Item ID’ on the Workflow Tasks List, then update the field Approver with the value ‘Contact’ from the Workflow Task List.

After this, we need to set when this workflow will be start. So go to the Workflow Settings and change BOTH ‘Start when items are created’ and ‘Start when items are modified’ to ‘Yes’.

Now publish the workflow and you can capture the Contact name in Workflow Task List to always update in your list.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can't you just set up a variable to constantly grab the "Last Task Respondent", and just have your workflow always assign these tasks to that variable? If John is the Approver, and John completes the task he will remain the Approver. If John delegates to Mary, then Mary will be placed into the Approver Variable after she responds and will be assigned from there on out.

0 Kudos