cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Delay to execute a Workflow after editing with a Form

Jump to solution

Hello. I'm a student at an internship in a company, and I'm pretty new on SharePoint and Nintex (I use it since two week).

I made a workflow with Nintex Workflow which is triggered when a certain field is modified (a yes/no field). The workflow delete the current element and some documents in a documents Library. It's work fine, and it start immediately when the field is directly modified on the list. But when I modify the field with a form, the workflow is "on starting" status and start after 1 or 2 minutes (or more).

Why's that ? And can it be resolved ?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad English.

PS : I don't know if this question belong here. If it's not, sorry

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Delay to execute a Workflow after editing with a Form

Jump to solution

Hi Sammy,

Your question is posted at the right place

Do you use SharePoint in O365 or OnPremise ?

When you edit item properties with a form, is it with a Nintex Forms ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply

I don't really know, I think this is SharePoint 2013 (I used it directly on Internet Explorer), but I don't know the exact name. Where can I find it ?

And yes, this is with Nintex Form (but i tried with the default SharePoint Form after I post this question, and it seem to have the same issue =/ ). It's not really a big problem right know, but I'd like to know what's going on, it can be usefull for futur workflow

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

If the url of your SharePoint ends with ".sharepoint.com" then it's in Office 365. If not, it can be SharePoint 2013 OnPremise.

Your workflow should start right after the form has been submitted and is closed and not a few minutes after that if you are using SharePoint OnPremise.

Can you send a screenshot to be sure that you check the status of the workflow at the right place ?

When you say that you edit the item without the form, is it using the quick edit of the list ?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Must be OnPremise then. Yeah, I was talking about quick edit

Here the screenshot (in french, I'll explain it below)

issue.PNG

The workflow is "Test suppression element", and it is on "Démarrage en cours" (starting). It activate when the field "Delete" is on "Oui" (yes). The goal of the workflow is to get the name (with filter made with regex on the workflow) of some file contain on the field "urlpj" who link to a Document Library, then delete all the file with these name (except if it didn't find it), and finally delete the current element.

With quick edit, it's made directly (in fact it even give me an error at first cause the element is deleted before the end of the save), but with the form, it take some minute.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Have you performed the tests using the form/using quick edit with the same item (or with exactly the same properties)?

As depending on the number of attachments, the workflow can take more time to delete all the items.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yeah,I tried that and it still is deleted immediately with Quick Edit.

But right now I made some test and the workflow start immediately with form when there are only one attachement (it didn't made that last time I checked), but I don't think I change something in particular.

Maybe it comes from the server, but I still don't grasp why I dob't have a wait time with quick edit ^^"

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

The workflow should start immediately once the item is updated.

With the quick edit, the item get updated faster as the quick edit functionality is more limited than the form. But as far as I know, once the Nintex forms is closed, it should mean that the item is updated or almost updated and the workflow should start right after that.

As you said, it can depend on the ressources of your SharePoint server...

I've never noticed that there was such a difference depending on the way the item is updated (using edit form or quick edit).

Do you have attachments on the list or is it just URL?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just link to a Library, no attachments.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

ok, then, I cannot explain you why there is such a difference, sorry.

Maybe Aaron Labiosa has an idea...

0 Kudos