Run if or Filter for most recent version of a template

• 11 September 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

How do I make sure the user has selected/uploaded the most current version of a document template? I have two libraries, one that contains the templates of project documents and another that has those templates in the Project Documents "New" dropdown options. The problem is, sometimes the users upload old versions of the templates from their desktops. I thought about a naming convention workflow in the template library that includes the version number but the users usually rename the template before they load it in the project documents library.

Just so you know, I’m still on SP2007 and Nintex 2007.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for the reply Nidish. We did consider turning off the upload option, however there are documents that the users load that arent created from the templates. For example, emails between the customer and user that are project related.

Badge +17

KaSandra,

Did you ever resolve this?  If so what did you end up doing.  It seems like the business process needed to be addressed more than a technical solutions such as a workflow modifying the naming convention. 

Another thought is turning on Content Approval.  This would allow users to still upload, but if the content was not correct or the right version, then you could reject.  Also if you added a version number as part of the metadata and required that field be entered, you could quickly filter the version that were incorrect and then do something about those documents perhaps.

Hope that helps if you haven't resolve that yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks for checking on this Eric!

You are right, it really is just a user issue that is slowly being resolved with more training. Content approval may eventually be a good option because we have a more dedicated resource to utilize for these projects now.

I would say it is as resolved as it can be.

It's nice to run these things by other SCAs and SAs to make sure I'm not missing a function that could be beneficial to us. happy.png