Logging deletion of an item

Badge +1

Hi,

although I have gathered some programming skills in the past, I'm pretty new to this nice and powerfull Nintex framework. 🙂

ATM I'm developing a logging WF (SP 2010 and Nintex 2010) which should track creation, modification and deletion of items in the "master" list into a logging list. Things are running good so far.

Here is my problem:

In the master list I have a versioned multiline text field. When an item is deleted, I want to log the last stack entry of this versioned multiline text field (amongst other fields) into the logging list.

To achieve this I'm using "build string" to create my entry in the logging list. All fields, but the versioned multiline text field, get it into logging list. 😞

The workflow runs like this:

Read things to log from master list.

Create string for the log entry and put it into a variable (multiline string).

Write variable's included string to the logging list.

Delete item in master list (deletion is triggered by letting users set a "delete flag" in master list. WF does the real deletion, because it's not possible to fire up a WF on a deleted item).

Whatever I do, as long as the WF-function to delete the item in the master list is activated, the versioned multiline text field doesn't make it into the log string. As soon, as the delete function is deactivated in WF, anything is fine.

For testing, at the beginning of the WF, I've read the versioned multiline text field into a WF-variable (far before deletion of the master list item) and parsed it into a "email" function. Funny thing is: The received mail is empty. 😞

The results of my analysis is: Although, the deletion in master list is done at the end of my WF-design, this single versioned multiline text field seems to be cleared / deleted at the beginning of the WF before I'm able to access it.

Questions:

Does Nintex any optimizations regarding the execution order inside the WF?

Were versioned multiline text fields treated different from other (non versioned) fields?

Am I missing something?

TIA

Stevie

2 replies

Badge +1

Okay, here is the problem in short. 😉

Szenario:

At the beginning of the WF, I'm reading the last entry of a versioned multiline text field (and some other datetime fields) into a variable.

Than some WF actions are done...

At the end of the WF the whole item should be deleted.

Problem:

While all fields of this item can be read (there corresponding variables contain data), but the variable for the versioned multiline text field is empty. 😞

As soon as the function for deleting the item is deactivated this variable is filled, too.

Questions:

Does the Nintex-WF engine some kind of parallelization? In other words: Is the WF not processed so suquential as designed on the canvas?

What I'm doing wrong?

TIA

Stevie

Badge +1

Am I the only one facing this problem?