cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating New Item in One List Based on Items in Another

Hi, I have 3 Sharepoint lists (Conversation, Opportunity, & Engagement) each which has different columns and associated data, but the relationship is a conversation can lead to one to many opportunities and an opportunity can lead to one to many engagements. The flow of information goes from Conversation -> Opportunity -> Engagement and users have the ability to "Advance" each item from one list to another based on status change.

For example, I have created an opportunity Item. When I am ready to advance this item to engagement, I set the Opportunity status to "Advance to Engagement" which initiates a workflow. My workflow sets a condition to ensure required information is present and then creates a new item in the Engagement list. When I test this, the workflow completes without error. However, I am unable to see the newly created engagement item in the Engagement list.

Am I missing something?

Labels: (2)
13 Replies
emha
Nintex Newbie

Re: Creating New Item in One List Based on Items in Another

have you checked workflow history/status whether it really went down the way that creates item after set condition action?

which action do you use to create item? - 'create item' or 'create item in another site'?

the later has 'error handling' capabilities, so you may get feedback how did it execute.

Not applicable

Hi Marian, thanks for your quick response. I am using "create item in another site" and I have removed the set condition action during troubleshooting to verify if this will work without the pre-condition. I have pasted the current workflow below - please view the "Advance to Opportunity Branch". I receive the notification successfully and the workflow runs and completes, but I still cannot access the created item in the Opportuntiy list. Any thoughts on why this might happen?

emha
Nintex Newbie

could you as well post configuration of that create item action?

if you use any variables within create item action write all of them to history log (before create item action) and post them as well, just to see what's your real input.

if you haven't done it yet, configure error handling in create item action, write outcomes to history log as well (after create item action) and post it.

do you really need to write to list in another site? if not try to use 'create item' action.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi - i have switched to "create item" as the list is within the same site. The workflow sequence remains the same except i have swapped actions. The "Create Item" configuration looks like this:

Where Opportunity Name & Conversation topic are same type (single line of text) and and Opportunity Description and Notes are same type (multiple lines of text).

When i try to run this I get an unknown error with message "the workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more of the item require a different type of information". The history is below.

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

ok.

are opportunity description and Notes of the same type in term of plain/rtf content?

aren't there any other mandatory column on the opportunity list that you omit to supply in create item action?

what's the datatype of OppID variable?

I would guess multiline text causes the problem. could you temporarily switch off mandatory flag on all columns and try to create item with just opportunity description/Notes column set?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Marian, to answer your questions:

are opportunity description and Notes of the same type in term of plain/rtf content? yes, they were both multiple line of rich text format.

aren't there any other mandatory column on the opportunity list that you omit to supply in create item action? no these are the only mandatory columns

what's the datatype of OppID variable? List Item ID

I would guess multiline text causes the problem. could you temporarily switch off mandatory flag on all columns and try to create item with just opportunity description/Notes column set? I temporarily switched off the multi-line field and then tried to create the item with just the opportunity name set. This still failed with the same error indicated above. I then removed all mandatory flags from opportunity and tried to just create the item. Again, same issue. I wonder if there could be something wrong with the OppID? or something here?

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

try to leave 'Store new item ID in' empty.

has conversation topic had any content when you tested with only opportunity name field?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes, conversation topic has had content why i tested with only opportunity name.

I just changed the store new item id to empty and it still errored. The result is still "The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information."

Currently, opportunity has no mandatory fields.

0 Kudos
emha
Nintex Newbie

does your workflow start automatically on item update base on condition on 'Opportunity status' list column?

is switch action the first one in workflow as on screenshot above?

try to put pause action and set it to wait for 1min before the switch action.

what's driving switch decision, some item property or workflow variable?

if pause doesn't help, try to add commit before create item in addition

0 Kudos