cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbakergsy
Nintex Newbie

Create single notifications for owners of documents in a library when due for review

Jump to solution

Hi I'm new to Nintex so apologies if this is something simple!

We have a document library with several document owners. These documents have differing dates on which they are due for review.

I would like to create a site workflow where I can notify the document owners the list of documents that are due for review in the upcoming month.

I can create a workflow where they get a seperate notification for each document but this means they are getting inundated with notifications! So if possible I'd like to summarize them.

I have managed to create a list of all of the documents that are due for review and can get the owners but how do I now group them by owner and send them their individual lists?

Thanks  

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
nj
Nintex Newbie

Re: Create single notifications for owners of documents in a library when due for review

Jump to solution

If you don't currently, add a column to the library that identifies who is the owner. Then in your site workflow you use a query against the library looking for all documents that set to owner "Jim A", do for each and then in the for each loop grab the document URL or Title or whatever other information you want to display, and then add it to a multi-line variable. In the end a notification with the multi-line variable in the body. Screenshots below. I haven't fully tested this, but it should get you to at least 90% of the way.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

0 Kudos
dbakergsy
Nintex Newbie

Re: Create single notifications for owners of documents in a library when due for review

Jump to solution

Thanks Nj,

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it very well. I think you're solution will help. But, I need the workflow to identify the owner too (it is a list column) then once its identified the list of documents they need to review that month then send each owner their list of documents. 

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
nj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm not sure how what you replied with and what I showed above are different. You query all documents where column "owner"(or whatever you named it) is equal to whoever, and then loop through each one gathering whatever details about the document you want(whether just the title, or as well as the file size, created date, etc.) and then put them all together in a multi line and send a notification outside the loop at the end with those details.

0 Kudos
dbakergsy
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

@nj Thanks again for your reply. Smiley Happy Sorry I'm not explaining myself very well!

I don't want just send the notification to one of the owners. I need to send a reminder to all of the owners where they have documents due for review and, if so, attach their list of documents due for review within the notification.

So I think your solution does help me build the notification part. I just need to do it for all owners and send seperate notifications to each one with their details.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Right, so what I've shown can show you how to iterate through all documents for a specific owner. Now what you can do is before doing this aspect, do a query for all the owners in the library. Do a collection operation to remove duplicates, then do a for each with the remaining owners collection.

So essentially, you would have three for each loops, one to gather the list of possible owners. Then you have one to iterate through each owner, querying for all that owners documents, then your third for each runs inside the second one to build the list of documents for that owner. Then when that's complete, it exits the third loop, finds the next owner, and repeats the document list building. 

If it's confusing reading it I could design it out in a workflow.

0 Kudos
dbakergsy
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

@nj  Hi Nj, thanks again for your help - I tried but must be doing something wrong as either I see no results or, I see the results but no owner!

If you have time to mock up an example I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
nj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I can do that. Can you show me what you have so far(as well as the library you are looking into for the workflow) and I can maybe spot where we got mixed up?

0 Kudos
dbakergsy
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

@nj  I've attached my workflow (hopefully!).

Thanks again (apologies if I've completely missed the point!)

0 Kudos
nj
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I began building a demo of it, and I realized I led you astray. You do not need the loop for the owners. A simple query against the list, for all items, grabbing only the Owner column and then putting it into a collection variable will give you all of your owners. So the issue of not returning any owners should be resolved from there. 

Also, if your owner column is a people column and you're able to collect the owners but not match documents to owners, try looking at @emha post here: https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/How-to-you-filter-results-within-a-Query-List-...

0 Kudos