Moving databases to new farm - getting workflow history discrepancies

• 15 December 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have consolidated 2 SharePoint farms into one, taking a small divisional farm (actually just a single site collection) into the central farm.  The division made a lot of use of Nintex (workflow and forms) and so I had to move both the SharePoint Content database and the Nintex Content database.

In the process I also moved the site collection from being in its own web application to being off a managed path,

My problem is that there are 2 ways to see workflow history - and they show different data.

If I use this link (/_layouts/15/Workflow.aspx?ID=480&List=6d104bd8-fdb9-4d4b-b11f-9cca1b292a35), then I see the workflow history.

If I use this link (/_layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/ItemWorkflows.aspx?ListId={6d104bd8-fdb9-4d4b-b11f-9cca1b292a35}&ItemId=480), then I see nothing.

It might be that there is nothing to worry about, but I don't like the idea of being surprised by some issue after I have decommissioned the old system.

Has anyone come across this before?  Does this indicate a problem within my system?  Can it be fixed?

(I am running Nintex 2013 3.1.0.0 on SharePoint SP1,CU 11.2014, on Windows Server 2012 R2)

Regards,

Andrew

4 replies

Badge +2

Having done a bit more work on this, there seems to be a issue (or something I don't understand), on the Manage Database Mappings screen versus the View Database Mappings screen. Changes on the one are not reflected on the other.  I could not get the site collection connected to the correct NW content database without resorting to a direct SQL update on the Storage table.

I am not happy about interfering with the database but could find nothing else that worked.  Would love someone to tell me how I should have done that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Andrew,

I would give this article (and the linking articles) a read: Migrating/ Upgrading - What you need to know

It sounds like Nintex is no longer aware of the Guid values for the site moved to a new web application.

Badge +2

I took me a little while to find that command, but in the end it was an essential part of my migration process.

However, I still don't understand why the 'Manage Database Mappings' screen and 'View Database Mappings' screen seem to show different information.

The 'View Database Mappings' is driven by the 'Storage' table in the NW Config database.  To change my mappings of site collections to Nintex content database, I had to edit that table directly.

The 'Manage Database Mappings' screen purports to change the mappings between a SharePoint content database and a Nintex content database, which in my head means that it should change the mappings for each site collection in that content database.  But it doesn't, and in fact, I can't figure out what it actually does do.  Certainly nothing that helped me.

Badge

I worked on the same Problem and after many hours i solved it.

You have to do the following steps in exactly this order:

1. set your Nintex-Database Mappings in Central Administration  (Central Administration - Nintex Workflow Management - Nintex Workflow Database Setup - Manage Database Mappings)
  2. disable all Nintex-Features in each Webapplikation, Site and Web.
  3. stop iis for every sharepoint server in farm.
  4. stop sharepoint timer service for every sharepoint server in farm.
  5. start sharepoint timer service for every sharepoint server in farm.
  6. start iis for every sharepoint server in farm.
  7. enable all Nintex-Features in each Webapplikation, Site and Web.
  8. stop and start Nintex - Web Application Activation for your Webapplikation (Central Administration - Nintex Workflow Management - Web Application Activation - [Deactivate / Activate])

In my case i solved the Problem.

good luck