Look up Values from one list to another

• 8 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +6

I have 2 lists - List A is a list of courses with an a field related to it called Category.

List B is a registration list which has a lookup field with a list of courses in List A.

Once this field, Course Name, is selected in List B, I would like the workflow to add the category form List A automatically.  I have a workflow related to List B so can add an action here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Renee,

I understood that you have a List of registrations for courses. During registration you pick a course from a list, which is implemented by a lookup column. A course consists of a course name and a category. When selecting a course by name you want also the category of the course be shown. Is that correct?

If so, you can place a Calculated Value control on your form and let it look up the category based on the selection made in course dropdown, like here:

The category will be updated each time you make a selection in course dropdown.

To achieve this open the calculated value control and add the lookup() function from the runtime functions section.

Configure it the following way: lookup("name of your list", "ID", "The name of your course selection control", "The name of your category column"). In my sample the configuration looks like this:

lookup("Courses", "ID", Course, "Category")

Would that be helpful?

Best regards

Enrico

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you insist on workflow?

this can be easily achieved with pure sharepoint's functionality - in course name lookup list field configuration (in list B) you should see block 'Add a column to show each of these additional field'. with that you can configure what additional listA's fields should be visible in listB

213311_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +6

Thank you.   I will give it a try.