Access Denied

• 24 July 2008
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

I just installed K2 blackpearl and when I try to activate the K2 Web Designger Integration within MOSS's Central Administration, the page waits a bit to respond and then returns an ACCESS DENIED message (in the standard MOSS template).  If I revisit the activation page, it shows the feature as being installed (and am given the option to deactivate).  If I go to the site collection I activated to, I see the dropdown option (under list settings) to load up the K2 Web Designer, but the page MOSS returns has nothing within the content area of the MOSS template.

Anyone have an idea how I can successfully activate this feature?

Thanks,

Dan

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi Dan,

Have you double checked all the security preqs for the K2 bits on MOSS? In the documentation --> Getting Started --> Installation Guide --> Before You Begin --> Set Up Permissions --> SharePoint Server.  Also under Getting Started --> Installation Guide --> Installing K2 [blackpearl] --> Post Installation Common tasks --> SharePoint Configuration, there are some more permissions noted that you should check you were able to get set.

Also you can also validate the installed components by opening Windows explorer and navigate to C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft Sharedweb server extensions12TEMPLATEFEATURES. You should see several K2 folders for the various K2 features.

HTH

Badge +3

Thanks for the response! Permissions are double checked (although I did miss the one on the MOSS Template directory), and I am good to go there.

As for the K2 folders under features, I have the following.

• K2AdminUILinks
  • K2smartobjectservicerefreshmenuitem
  • K2SPWorkflowIntegration
  • K2TaskContentType1
  • K2TaskContentType2
  • K2TaskContentType3
  • K2WebDesignerMenuItem

Unfortunately, I am still getting access denied errors.

-Daniel

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hmmm, since your issue is web designer, you may also want to check the permissions on the Web Workflow database. In the Getting Started Guide --> K2 [blackpearl] Installation Guide --> Before You Begin --> Set up Service Accounts --> SharePoint Service Account check to make sure that the SharePoint service accounts have been granted these permissions on the web Workflow Database.

Also, have you checked your Event Log to see if MOSS is logging any error messages in regard to this error you are experiencing?

Badge +3

Essentially one service account is used for all of SharePoint and K2 (that is the administrator on the machine, sharepoint, k2, database, and reporting services).  Everything was installed using this user, and I am currently logged in as this user.  This is the error I am getting in the Event Log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: Web Event
Event ID: 1309
Date:  7/25/2008
Time:  2:16:38 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: SERVERNAME
Description:
Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 7/25/2008 2:16:38 PM
Event time (UTC): 7/25/2008 6:16:38 PM
Event ID: c69632832fd644b5a4bd931d69a6e13a
Event sequence: 50
Event occurrence: 2
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/761566685/Root-1-128614629323994268
    Trust level: WSS_Minimal
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: C:InetpubwwwrootwssVirtualDirectories7157
    Machine name: SERVERNAME

Process information:
    Process ID: 3552
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: ***USER

Exception information:
    Exception type: COMException
    Exception message: Access is denied.

Request information:
    Request URL: http://SERVERNAME:81/_admin/K2ActivateFeature.aspx?ActionType=K2WebWorkflow
    Request path: /_admin/K2ActivateFeature.aspx
    User host address: *.*.*.*
    User: ***USER
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: NTLM
    Thread account name: ***USER

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 1
    Thread account name: ***USER
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.HandleAccessDenied(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.HandleAccessDenied(Exception ex)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.BaseApplication.Application_Error(HttpApplication app)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.ErrorAppHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnError()

Badge +3

Just to make it clear, I am currently logged into the account that is the Owner of the Web Workflow database.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Badge +5

Two things here:

1. I have seen this Access Denied error, and sometimes it is just "chatter".

2. As for the Web Designer being blank, you probably need to manually create the web application...

Sometimes, the K2 Web Designer will be successfully activated, but the WebWorkflow web application is not successfully created. To check:
1. Open IIS Management Console
2. Expand the MOSS site that is supposed to have the feature activated
3. Expand _layouts
4. Locate the WebWorkflow folder.
[This is supposed to be a web application (indicated by a gear icon), but may only have a folder icon]
If this is not a web application:
5. Right-click the WebWorkflow folder, and select Properties.
6. On the Virtual Directory tab, click Create, under Application Settings
7. Under Application Pool, select the Application Pool under which this site is supposed to be running
8. Apply the settings.
9. Reset IIS
10. In SharePoint Central Admin, deactivate the K2 Web Designer on the site in question
11. In SharePoint Central Admin, reactivate the K2 Web Designer on the site in question
12. Go to a document library in the site in question, click Settings, and select K2 Web Designer

HTH

Badge +3

Gail,

Thank you so much, that definitely fixed it!!!  I still get the access denied error, but I am now able to pull up the Designer.

Take care,

Dan

Badge +5

I received an inquiry about this outside of the Underground, and thought I should share my thoughts here.

The "Access Denied" message received upon Activation/Deactivation of the K2 feature for Sharepoint is benign from a K2 perspective.
However, it may still indicate an underlying issue of another sort within SharePoint.  The IIS and MOSS logs may be your best bet to troubleshoot them.

To troubleshoot this "Access Denied" message, enable Diagnostic Logging in SharePoint, try your activation/deactivation again, and look in the created log for signs of the underlying "403 Access Denied" message.

To do this:
-- Open SharePoint Central Administration
-- Navigate to the Operations page
-- Under “Logging and Reporting”, click on “Diagnostic Logging”
-- Under “Event Throttling”, select a category (All, if you don’t know what you’re looking for)
-- Specify the “least critical event” to report to the Event Logs (usually None,  Error or Warning)
-- Specify the “least critical event” to report to the Trace Log (usually Medium)
-- Under “Trace Log”, specify log file location, number of files to keep, and duration of file
---- Default path = C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12LOGS
---- Reduce the number of files to a smaller, manageable number (approx 5)
---- Size the log file an appropriate number of minutes (long enough to capture your test, short enough to keep the file size small)
-- Click OK
-- Retry what is failing
Now, the relevant information should be written to a file in the specified path, with the current date as part of the file name.  This file can be opened in a text editor, Excel, or a log file reader.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I offer no guarantees that this will help, but it's at least a useful place to start looking!