Web Request Control to Access a User Group

• 17 March 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello Folks,

Has anyone used a web request drop down to access a user group? I have had very little success with the Web Request control and I need to make another run at it.

Requirement: I need to click a Web Request dropdown in a list form and have it display a list of the people in a user group. Upon selection of a name, a last name field and a first name field will be loaded with their respective values from the selected person.

Has anyone done this or know how to accomplish it?

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

This has seen no activity so I just wanted to give it a bump... How about you ‌? Have you any idea how to do this? I think I have seen you work some traffic on web requests.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Patrick,

Are you dealing with SharePoint groups or AD groups ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

SharePoint groups... but, AD groups would be an interesting experiment. I have been wanting to get the Web Request to access LDAP.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Well, I haven't performed web request to access LDAP so far, so I won't be able to help on this, sorry.

To get SharePoint group members, you can execute the following web request :

Site URL/_api/web/sitegroups/getbyname('ControlContainingGroupName')/users

XPath for value : //*[local-name()='LoginName']

XPath for display : //*[local-name()='Title']

You will get the user login name in the value and you can then get first and last name using the following web requests (you need to encode the login name, by replacing # by %23) :

Site URL/_api/sp.userprofiles.peoplemanager/getuserprofilepropertyfor(accountname=@v,propertyname='FirstName')?@v='LoginName'

Site URL/_api/sp.userprofiles.peoplemanager/getuserprofilepropertyfor(accountname=@v,propertyname='LastName')?@v='LoginName'

Hope this helps

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

EDIT: Disregard the content below. It was the Authentication Type. I needed a 'Secure Store target application ID' and got one from our farm admins. It generated the list. Very Nice!!

Additionally, I had to give the account that the secure store ID was impersonating access to my site. I just went ahead and put it in the SCA group.

Thanks Caroline!!

Thanks for the response Caroline! I think I followed your instructions but the control does not produce anything in the dropdown. Here is my configuration:

...and here is my click result (just a blue selected control):

Do you see anything that I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Patrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi Patrick,

I'm glad that I could and could finally make it working !

I also spent lot of time configuring correctly the secure store to get a result from a web request on Nintex Forms !

Badge +3

Hi All,

I tried creating Secure Store ID, BUT I get this error when do "Run Now" on Web request control settings "Invalid uri: The format of the uri cannot be determined". I am using responsive forms on Sharepoint 2016.

213722_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In the "Service URL" field, you should replace "Site URL" by the real site url.

Hope this helps

Badge +3

Thanks, that worked. Now I am trying build the same functionality in O365 Nintex, but there is not "webrequest" control available. Is there anyway that we can achive this in Nintex O365?