Not applicable

Copying items in list/libraries

What would be the best ways to copy a document to:

1. Another list or library in the current site
2. A list or library in another site in the same Site Collection
3. A list or library in a different Site Collection
4. list or library in a different farm

Another list or library in the current site

You could use the Copy Item action in this case as it works within a site. It only supports lists. Or Copy to SharePoint for libraries.

A list or library in another site in the same Site Collection

Copy to SharePoint for libraries. To 'copy' a list item outside the current site, you would need to use the Call Web Service action to create a list item in the target list by calling lists.asmx. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/lists.lists.updatelistitems.aspx for more information.

A list or library in a different Site Collection

As above.

A list or library in a different farm

You can use Lists.asmx across a farm, but that only support list items. Copy To SharePoint does not work across a farm (this is because it uses the SharePoint Object Model API which is farm specific).

This document was generated from the following discussion: Copying items in list/libraries

Labels: (2)
5 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Copying items in list/libraries

Hi,

I think the 'Copy to SharePoint' action can be improved a lot. I expect that it has to capture the ID of the newly copied item/file, as a part of this action, so that it can be used for any activities post the copy activity.

Also include the capability of Updating the properties of a file using its URL (a new action probably). Its not an easy bite to call SharePoint Web-Services for all such simple activities. These additional capabilities in store, would improve the usability of Nintex Workflows.

Regards,

Abhijith Shastry

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

I agree with you Abhijith. There's a lot to improve!

Current action "Copy to SharePoint" is useless...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Is "Copy to SharePoint" available in only certain versions? I can't seem to be able to find it? I'm on Nintex Version: 2.3.10.0 for SharePoint 2010.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I'm working on Nintex Workflows 2010 - Version 2.4.5.0

I believe 'Copy to SharePoint' action is prevalent since 2.3.6, but it went through lot of iterations of bug-fixes till 2.4.5. Release Notes - https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1154

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Does Copy Item action only copy the last version of the item ? I have a multi line line text column with append comments. The copy item action only copies the last comment to the new list.

0 Kudos